Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing...final-in-perth

MARK
* I will appeal the length of the suspension I received at Gloucester Park. It is a tricky situation there. No other horse was affected and there is no passing lane there so you have got to take your chances. I thought it was* a smart move at the time but even though another horse is not checked there is a regulation to cover it.*
I am heading back to Rolleston and should be there by Sunday. I will probably head north then to look after the team up there. We haven't made any decision about horses like Vincent at this early stage.*
It was of course a tremendous thrill to win the Interdominion Final and the Golden Nugget. Lazarus was always travelling and he probably had it won a good way out. He is an exceptional horse and he just keeps building a record few horses can match. Unfortunately I didn't have time to celebrate because by the time we went through the judicial system and today I am packing up. Poi will stay here with the horses.*
I watched the replay of this race twice this afternoon. It appears Purdon copped the wrath when he came from behind the leader and ran to the front. For the life of me, I couldn't see any genuine interference. Vampiro had gone forward out of the gate but McCarthy was already easing him. He probably went a half metre wider than he should have but was easing for a sit. No contact made. Worth a 26 penalty? What would the stewards done had Mark opted to stay behind the leader?

Of greater concern, Ultimate Machete was stood down pending a vet certificate after the race. Any clues as to what his issue is? Interesting Purdon said after the race Ultimate Machete "may have turned the tables on Vincent this year". Interesting only because Vincent hasn't raced this season as yet. Looked pretty good to my eye winning his trial at Ashburton on Tuesday. The battle for the honour of being the All Stars' second best horse is a three way fight - Heaven Rocks (reminds me a bit of Mel Gibson's character in Lethal Weapon - hugely talented but has deep emotional issues), the Machete and Vincent.