As we have the fastest track in Australia , it's surely time for an update to the software used for recording race times at Menangle.

Great to hear quarters broadcast during the race but why do we wait one to two minutes after a race is run to get the mile rate? If I hear Fred Hastings say "time for the race is 1:54 and change" again , I will just scream.

Should be simple to automatically add four quarters together even if there are slight fractions to be reconciled and show on the semaphore as the horses cross the line. We do not want to know the mile rate two minutes later.

They do that at Melton and other race clubs around the country , even minor country tracks do this. So surely something so simple as should be a priority at Menangle.

Also , astonishingly with Smoken Up's record time , Fred Hastings got the official mile rate off the judge well after they crossed the line but it was later altered. Not the first time that this has happened. Mile rates have been changed an hour after the race is run. What is that all about?

Time to get a real timing system at Menangle that is accurate and actually works and the mile rate should instantly flash up on the screen as they pass the post. I can't see it being all that difficult or expensive to implement.