Roll With Joe

Thread: Sires 13/14

Threaded View

Senior Member 2YO Viv Strangman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Viv Strangman
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    [VVV] G'day Tony. I'd be very surpised if he served many mares here & by that I mean that if he exceeds 20 for mine he's doing well.
    The reasons why the horse got his arse handed to him during the QLD ID and then got it handed to him again when he went to the US aside....I think it all comes down to the fact that if his connections had instead left Mark Purdon alone and allowed him to manage the horse's career...they'd have ended up with a much better result over the longer term.
    Added to that....for crying out loud...the excuse machine that followed his every step, breath & crap. JESUS WEPT! If anyone set out to get the people to start shouting BULLSHIT! from the grandstands no better road map for achieving that could've possibly been produced.

Grant makes a very good point above.
    Artistic Fella has made an excellent debut here and they give every indication to me that they will go on as 3yos & beyond.
    Racehorse wise, no contest. Artistic Fella was the real deal, a 3-headed Gorilla. Auckland Reactor wouldn't have known which way he went. No contest there.
    One thing though. Although all we have to judge a potential sire on when he heads to stud is of course his racetrack career, in the end they all become Non-Winners again in the Breeding Barn.
    A truly great sire will overcome all, small books of mixed quality mares, a lack of opportunity for their progeny, the lot.
    Consider Christian Cullen & Elsu as examples. Both terrific racehorses. Christian Cullen's initial opportunities were by no means luxurious but he overcame. Elsu's initial opportunities were far better in terms of overall mare quality and numbers but he did little or one nothing. They've either got it or they haven't.
    . Artistic Fella a 3-headed gorilla- you are joking. Can't be the same Artistic Fella I saw in the flesh in the Breeders Crown elim and final. Beaten and well beaten both times. A lovely racehorse but having seen both in the flesh I don't know how you can honestly say he was that much better than Auckland Reactor. And at best he has made a promising start to his siring career. From 80+ foals, he has 2 really nice fillies and bugger all else. In Nz he was that highly regarded he served 9 mares. There is a prevailing mood these days in both Nz +Aust to judge horses on how they perform in your own back yard. I am as guilty of it as any one else. My opinion of Artistic Fella was based on what I saw in the flesh. Mr Feelgood is another who suffers from not performing to the same level everywhere he raced. Outstanding in both the Usa+Aust but an 11 start non winner in Nz. For what ever reason Mr Feelgood just didnt race anywhere near his true ability in Nz. Do you write him off as a sire prospect in Nz?. No but it does play a part when assessing potential sires for the coming season. Auckland Reactor draws exactly the same reaction from Australians as Mr Feelgood does from Kiwis. What they saw in their backyard was not at the same level as he performed in Nz or to the level they expected. So they rate him accordingly. I saw him race in Nz numerous times and have no doubt that Auckland Reactor during his 3+4yr old campaigns in Nz was very very special. As good as anything to race here in my lifetime. And that will be reflected in the number of mares he serves this year in Nz. I have no doubt he will serve a 200+ book in Nz. Pricing him at $3000 was an invitation most Nz breeders will struggle to refuse. And in Aust - At that price he will serve more than 20 but no where near what he will serve on this side of the Tasman. The one thing I had a query about was his fertility but when I spoke to Alabar they assured me that a part of the reason for pricing him at $3000 was they were very confident that he would handle a large book with ease. The one thing i would completely agree with Jamie is that stallions have either got it or they havn't.
    Last edited by teecee; 06-20-2013 at 08:34 PM.