I should have said it a bit more clearly Kev, I am calling this a one-off race fixing by Dixon and that this is worse than a one -off milkshake use, cobalt or using some other drug. It strikes at the very heart of the sport.The use of the drug would only affect the horse on a short term basis. Whereas blatant cheating affects everybody for a period of time. Quite a few trainers get 12 months for a one off charge of illegal substance usage i.e 1 horse only in the stable was given the substance (anecdotal evidence shows they do it to more than one horse).The immediate suspension for 12 months for Dixon without legal challenge as well indicates that authorities see my point of view as well other wise they would give a lesser penalty than for illegal substance use.
That blatant cheating such as this is also easier to prove by the stewards because it is so obvious makes it easier for authorities to hand down a tougher penalty as well. The Bart Cockburn case is another one in which the penalties have been harsher than any charge of using illegal chemicals in a horses body because it seems to affect the integrity of racing on a bigger scale.
M. Young in WA last year got 5 yrs for pulling up pacers at Albany. I dont recall any trainer getting 5 yrs for a one off usage of illegal substances. Nathan carrol got 3 yrs 6 months but he had a heap of charges proven against him. There are others who have been suspended then immediately get a lawyer and are free to train/drive and eventually quite a few of the charges are dropped or even worse they get off scot free. We have discussed that issue on the forums

I am not sure what Mr squeaky clean Mark Purdon got for his transgressions a few years ago in NZ but stewards were looking for 12 months but that was with 2 horses.

All in all Kev, I think I may be right even though I have not provided a lot of statistical evidence to support my opinion.