Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
I find the 40% reduction figure large for a last minute bump (maybe even for if a meeting was scheduled on Sky2)

If that is the bump %, it suggests that 60% of our punters/turnover are casual observers.
I base this on the fact that owner/stable connections are going to back it regardless
Pro punters and others that have been following a particular horse are not going to be put off
Those on course are going to still bet

and therefore the 40% drop is loss of casuals

I then say this is suggesting the Casual observer percentage is in the order of 60% for:
Some casuals are not going to be lost as they have Sky2 or only have to look at the 'other screen' in the TAB when there is a bump (or phone app caters for this - I do not about this as I am not a phone person)
And at least 10% of the 60% turnover that still eventuates would have to be casuals who have already put their bet on before the last minute bump
I find 60% way too high for casuals and would think those groups I listed in the previous paragraph to be at least 60% of turnover not casuals

It would be interesting to have some research but for the above reasons I find it hard to believe a bump costs us 40%
It would not be hard to research you would just need somebody to asterisk every time a race is bumped
Somehow, I doubt anybody in the harness industry or even Sky is doing that and so the 40% is just an estimate
That is - if it is even the 'bump' figure.
Far easier to do the maths (even retrospectively) if it is the figure for meets scheduled for Sky2
Sorry Kev, you’ve lost me with your reckoning but why would you doubt that both the harness industry and Sky are monitoring closely what goes on in the “engine room” of their businesses? I think you’ll find when a “bump” occurs, not just that it occurs determines the degree of impact on turnover so any figure would just be an average.