+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: De Lovely

Member Filly eljay will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Lloyd Jury
    Occupation
    Retired
    It's early days yet. The answer to your question wont be apparent for a year or two.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    HOPPLES GO ON AUCKLAND REACTOR
    AUCKLAND REACTOR ran one of the slowest 800m of his career on Friday morning and driver Blair Orange couldn't have been happier. That was because it was only the third time he had had the hopples on since he returned from the US of A intent on a new career which ended up being just a race career in the meantime.

"He ran 3200m in about 5:10 and ran his last 800m in 1:15 but he is doing well. He is looking a lot better too'' Blair said after the champ worked away handily on his own in his usual relaxed style.

"He was a bit light on I thought when he first got here but he has done well and he seems on target''

Auckland Reactor is aimed at the Auckland Cup and the Interdominions next March but Blair says he will do another six weeks at home before stepping out in public. One of the more impressive aspects of his kickstarted career is that he is the same sensible relaxed stallion he has always been, waiting patiently to be worked. No pawing concrete and other signs of impatience from the Rolleston Rocket. He saves the fireworks for the track.
    I missed this, thanks for the update. I hope for his connections he comes back to his best. I know that throat operations are an uphill battle personally, but horses like Stunnin Cullen and thoroughbred So You Think are living proof they came come back - and better - than ever

This is turning into a crack of an Interdom

Junior Member Foal mtlunchbx will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Mark Guilford
    De Lovely racing this Friday at the Mett. M8 R8 #8. According to the Chinese 888 is good fortune.

nat
    Just watched a replay of her last race was it just a case of going to the well one to many times being used as a sit sprinter and being caught out. Would think its time to try racing her in some different rolls to see how she goe's seeing they want to race her against the big boys

Flashing Red
    I (think) it was the Breeders Crown filly final, they played games and really made her work for the lead and she went huge. She showed she could do some work, has she always been driven sit-sprint in NZ???

Junior Member Foal mtlunchbx will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Mark Guilford
    Nommed for Saturday at the Mett. Up against Monkey King, Nearea Franco, Highveiw Tommy etc. If she remains in the field, its a massive ask to go up against the big boys without any race fitness.

buster
    she only raced 10 days ago? id call 3 starts this prep plus workouts as race fitness?

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    She doesn't look like a grose doing mare so she probably doesn't take much work and she might go better spacing her races and keeping her fresh.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashing Red View Post
    I (think) it was the Breeders Crown filly final, they played games and really made her work for the lead and she went huge. She showed she could do some work, has she always been driven sit-sprint in NZ???
    No games were played. Should we have just given her the 1st place cheque?? I dont think so, I instructed John to drive to win which is exactly what he did and our filly went amazing and ran 4th depite clearly being the 2nd best run in the race. Do i have any regrets? Not at all. If you go into battle having conceded defeat, you will never win!

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    No games were played. Should we have just given her the 1st place cheque?? I dont think so, I instructed John to drive to win which is exactly what he did and our filly went amazing and ran 4th depite clearly being the 2nd best run in the race. Do i have any regrets? Not at all. If you go into battle having conceded defeat, you will never win!
    Very true, here here

In saying that, (and this is not in regards to any race in particular, especially your filly -which without looking up I do not know who it is by the way) if you know you can't beat a horse, you know it is far superior to yours, what do you do? If driving for second is the best possible position one's horse could finish due to a freak being in the field (lets just say Somebeachsomewhere for argument's sake), do you drive it for second? The rules stipulate:

Rule 149(1) "A driver shall take all reasonable and permissible measures during the course of a race to ensure that the horse driven is given full opportunity to win or obtain the best possible placing in the field".

If the best possible finish, barring accident, is one's horse finishing second, do you go out hard to win and give up most likely a better cheque/finishing position? Food for thought. I remember the last Cox Plate, Gai's horse More Joyous tried to make So You Think feel the weight he was carrying and run him off his feet. Gai was trying to win the race, but realistically she would have never beat So You Think. As an owner I would have liked her to be ridden quiet, get at least second and hope she could win, making the race a sprint home. But she faded out early, trying to win by getting the other horse beat cost her, arguably, second prizemoney.

I am a little on the fence about this, just throwing up some food for thought. I don't really think it is about "giving" another horse the first place cheque, (IMHO) but trying to make one's own the biggest possible If it's a win it's a win, if not one got the best cheque they could.

(And good luck with your filly anyway - 4th in a BC must mean she goes OK indeed )

+ Reply to Thread