Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this Exploitation?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Is this Exploitation?

Race 9 on the Terang Cup program was only for a stake of $1500 in total. The Vic Tab alone held over $50,000 on the race. In so many sports we have seen marked salary increases as players demand their fair share as they are the ones who put on the show. Is this any different?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Totally agree, add costs of drivers fee, trainers transport etc and any owner would be happy to compete in this type of race....I think not.
    All races need appearance money for the starters, after all isn't there a BIG court case over race fields legistrations which the clubs want a share of turnover but they forget who supplies the runners to make up these race fields.

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Can remember when restricted meeting prizemoney was $100 per race.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Can remember when restricted meeting prizemoney was $100 per race.
    Hi Brian, yes I was looking through an old York Trotting Club book (W.A.) as they called pacing back in those days and noticed most of the races were for 200 dollars - unbelievable. With regards to the Terang race being worth 1500 dollars this would surely have to be the exception and not the rule. During my many years involved in harness racing I've kept race books, newspaper cuttings etc and you can see to what extent stakemoney increased during the decades.Looking at this and considering the huge costs involved now in owning a pacer I would say we are definitely behind. One thing that was noticeable in the old race books was the absence of syndicate ownership compared to today, another indication of rising costs.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Sadly , if you race your horses in South Australia , $1500 seems to often be the norm. Have a look at this card for instance , for next Tuesday night at Globe Derby http://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm...2&fromstate=sa

Harness racing in SA seems to be really in the doldrums as are all racing codes in that state.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by David Summers View Post
    Sadly , if you race your horses in South Australia , $1500 seems to often be the norm. Have a look at this card for instance , for next Tuesday night at Globe Derby http://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm...2&fromstate=sa

Harness racing in SA seems to be really in the doldrums as are all racing codes in that state.
    Scratching my head why the connections of Repelem in the last on that program and the winner of 26 from 39 races and placed on 9 other occassions for prizemoney of over $140,000 would persist in racing in that state. I can only think they have a terriffic loyalty to S.A harness or they just want to watch her compete in their own backyard and are content to race for peanuts. I really feel for particpants in S.A .

Jimmy Jaques always portrays the racing in a very exciting manner.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Yes, I agree , Jimmy Jaques is a fine caller who really puts a lot of excitement and energy into his calls. No matter how minor the race many calls sound like he is calling an Interdominion final :-)

Banned Yearling TSW will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Tim Watson
    Quote Originally Posted by David Summers View Post

Greyhounds at Angle Park on a Monday night race for $1640. Cost nothing to feed them too

Real Name
    David Summers
    Quote Originally Posted by TSW View Post
    Greyhounds at Angle Park on a Monday night race for $1640. Cost nothing to feed them too
    Also no gear costs , no driver costs , no transport costs, no shoeing costs etc. Plus you can buy a well bred young dog for under $1000.

Makes you wonder why harness folk in SA bother. Just the love of the game I guess.

Senior Member Colt G-Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Glen McWilliams
    Horses
    Jewel Castle Diamond Castle
    Very cheap to spell a dog too. If you have a couch you have a greyhound spelling paddock!

+ Reply to Thread