Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Probably better using that inflation figure for prizemoney which was only up 6.35% (wouldn't we love to say prizemoney was up 6.35%)
    The more relevant figure for wagering comparison might be wage increases as this somewhat equates to spending power - were they up more than 4.2%?
    If wages weren't up 8% to match inflation, then a 4.2% increase in wagering would be very good as the average home would have been experiencing a spending squeeze to offset the increase in all their essential spending
    Would still compare for both. Current wagering will reflect future prizemoney.

Quick search says US wage growth 5%. So guess through that market share type lense its only a very minor downturn however the wage growth is irrelevant when looking through the lense of expenses of the industry. If costs are rising 8% and wagering only up 4% thats still a chunk of higher expenses without the income to match.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    No, what I was meaning in regards to wage growth is in terms of household income. If peoples' expenses are increasing by 8% but their wages are not, then it is unlikely they are going to wager as much. If inflation is +8% (cost of living) and wage growth +5% then I think the US industry should probably be reasonably happy with an increase in turnover of 4.2%
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    No, what I was meaning in regards to wage growth is in terms of household income. If peoples' expenses are increasing by 8% but their wages are not, then it is unlikely they are going to wager as much. If inflation is +8% (cost of living) and wage growth +5% then I think the US industry should probably be reasonably happy with an increase in turnover of 4.2%
    Yes I get that hence the viewing from lense of market share comment.

However for raceclubs and associations future survival they are still down 3% real inflated adjusted income and up 8% expenses.

You can take some positive out of wagering staying consistent with wage growth and being better with disposable income, but at the end of the day hanging your hat on that wont pay the bills.

Inflation not the fault of the sport, but its not good reading for financial viability of the sport.
    Last edited by aussiebreno; 07-08-2023 at 12:07 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Sure it is not a 'metro' meet and there is even another meet on at Mildura
    BUT
    $4,500 races at our metro track (Melton is that) on a Friday night
    FEELS WRONG

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=MX140723

(only 2 of 10 races But it still feels wrong)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    These races, along with stakemoney for unplaced horses, just reward mediocrity and diminish returns for the better performed horses. In turn, that diminishes the punting pool. I confess to be just shooting from the hip with the last statement as I haven't researched it. i guess if a well-proven horse snuck its way into a $4,500 race it might attract some big wagers but it would also shrink the size of the pool due to nobody wanting to punt on its opponents.

I think I have said it before, but these lesser races were once the domain of non-TAB picnic clubs. They were a good thing for advancing horses, educating young stock while paying for some feed and a good, social occasion. All of this was flushed down the river when HRV, in its unquestionable wisdom, determined all its races would be TAB-covered events. The minimum stake for these has risen from $3,000 to $4,500 over the years but, seemingly to the detriment of the minimum country stakes.

How many years have we been racing for $7,000 now in Victoria? Seven or eight is my rough guess.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    If you are wondering why we are behind the other codes for turnover
    Tomorrow in Australia there are
    15 Thoroughbred tote meetings
    8 Greyhound tote meetings
    3 Harness tote meetings

We are clearly a 'boutique' industry
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Most of us rusted on harness people still know the champions going around in the gallops
    My 30's son-in-law makes his living out the gallops, he used to work for a big betting agency but has gone out on his own - so he is a serious racing person.
    I brought up Leap To Fame (going to talk about his brother beat him ...) - He has never heard of Leap To Fame

Far out - we have to throw heaps of money at regaining a profile if we are to be anything other than 'boutique' and irrelevant to anybody other than rusted ons
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Shocking if it is true, according to PP this is why NZ standardbred mares (especially in foal) are being sold to China
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    28 horses, ALL fillies and mares, exported to China in the past month according to the Exported Horses report from the HRNZ website.

It is true, why else would they be air- freighting standardbred mares into China? And broodmares, when there is no racing?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Edit: I see you posted elsewhere about this Kev. Ill keep this post up but will keep my conversation to the other thread

Not sure where to put this but I was looking up my colt's full sister on HRNZ having decided to reach out to the owners to buy her. Noticed she's been exported... to China. 27 in total were exported to China in July (ALL were mares 3yo-11yo), in comparison 29 were exported to Australia with just 1 to the USA. I'm a little concerned about this - have read that it's a scam and the horses are put in foal and foals aborted so they can harvest the placenta for face creams. Surely... surely that can't be right. also been told that they race them there under saddle but wouldn't explain why theyre buying older broodmares. Any insights?

Note: This post was moved by Moderator Messenger
    Last edited by Messenger; 08-04-2023 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Direction

+ Reply to Thread