Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newcastle Derby Saturday Night

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach

Newcastle Derby Saturday Night

Three stars fronting up for the $20K Derby in Scandalman, Fly Like An Eagle and Smolda. Waldenburg, who won a heat of the Alabar Breeders Challenge last week at Newcastle, wont be there. Thought he would have been well placed in the smallish field. Michael Formosa has been given the drive on Smolda.

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=97471

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Good to see Smolda in there, he is part owned by Maitland harness identity Marcus Kirkwood, whose family are steeped in Hunter Valley harness folklore,the horse has been stabled/trained during this campaign at Mick's set up in the Hunter and I'm certain he is rapt to get the drive at Newcastle, a circuit he knows every inch of.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Do you think Michael has ever driven a horse of this blokes class, excuse my naivety if he's driven some out and out champion???

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    Do you think Michael has ever driven a horse of this blokes class, excuse my naivety if he's driven some out and out champion???
    Mick has been around for quite a while Brad and is well qualified to handle a good horse, he drove Commander Monty in the 1997 miracle mile, has driven a stack of good horses, won the Bathurst Gold Crown with one of his own this year.

Smolda is a lovely horse, but how do you qualify and "out and out champion " Brad ?.. we all have different measuring sticks there, anyway the horse won't lose anything with Mick in the cart, thats for sure.

Cheers,
    Dan

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    I certainly am not casting any aspersions on Michaels horsemanship. Purdon wouldn't have his horses stabled up there if he didn't think the Formosa stable was the right place for them. Hope it didn't read like that. Just wondering (up to this point) what the best horse he has had the pleasure of sitting behind. Apart from Ultimate Art which was his first Group 1 winner in the Crown this year.

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    I certainly am not casting any aspersions on Michaels horsemanship. Purdon wouldn't have his horses stabled up there if he didn't think the Formosa stable was the right place for them. Hope it didn't read like that. Just wondering (up to this point) what the best horse he has had the pleasure of sitting behind. Apart from Ultimate Art which was his first Group 1 winner in the Crown this year.
    Really coudn't answer that Brad, cause everyone has a different yardstick and and all that, Commander Monty was no slouch and Smolda hasn't gone around in a Miracle Mile yet either. I didn't get the impression you were questioning Mick's credentials, simply laying out some of what I know thats all, please don't go all Dr Phil on me OK?
    Natalie used to take Blackie to Mick's whenever they were down this way and I have no doubt the trust developed then has continued.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    He comes across as a pretty well grounded bloke thats copped a few knocks establishing himself and he is now starting to reap the rewards. I was thinking about some of the champs from yesteryear to answer your question and was going to say something stupid like "has he been behind something like Blackie?" and blow me down, here you are saying he's had that old fella at his place too. Not much chance of me doing the Dr Phil stuff, I deal with them enough in 'my' day job as it is. And Ron, no offence intended there either mate.

Member Yearling Diablo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Miller
    While we're on the Michael Formosa topic and left the Derby talk in limbo, Formosa must be the best trainer in Newcastle if Purdon has left Smolda in his care.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Thought Mick did everything right on Smolda the other night. I have a much healthier respect for Scandalman following his gritty effort, he might have had the easier run in the race, but when I expected him to lay down he really stood up. Great race with the top three dominating. A bit of coup for Goulburn to land Major Post and Waldenburg to contest the Breeders heat two days later and can't blame connections for going that way. Don't want to upset Mark (Croatto) but I would have loved to have seen Waldenburg coming home over all of them at Newcastle.

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    He comes across as a pretty well grounded bloke thats copped a few knocks establishing himself and he is now starting to reap the rewards. I was thinking about some of the champs from yesteryear to answer your question and was going to say something stupid like "has he been behind something like Blackie?" and blow me down, here you are saying he's had that old fella at his place too. Not much chance of me doing the Dr Phil stuff, I deal with them enough in 'my' day job as it is. And Ron, no offence intended there either mate.
    And none taken.

+ Reply to Thread