PDA

View Full Version : Stewards News

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hermione
09-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Can someone please explain LCRT to me> Says last chance to race truly but what are the ramifications of that statement?

aussiebreno
09-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Can someone please explain LCRT to me> Says last chance to race truly but what are the ramifications of that statement?
Yes last chance race truly, ramifications include being sent back to trials.

Hermione
09-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks, just as long as it didn't mean pet food factory :)

trish
09-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Kev wrote, Where does one keep an eye out for the results of an adjourned inquiry?.

I reckon their should be a separate adjourned inquiry section in the stewards reports in every state. As no one or very few would know when such an inquiry is or will be heard, it would help the general public out & Kev & me.

Messenger
09-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Of course I totally agree Trish and I have sent an email to HRV to request that adjourned inquiries have their own link on the Stewards Reports list instead of being tacked onto another meets report

Danno
09-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Kev wrote, Where does one keep an eye out for the results of an adjourned inquiry?.

I reckon their should be a separate adjourned inquiry section in the stewards reports in every state. As no one or very few would know when such an inquiry is or will be heard, it would help the general public out & Kev & me.

Trish you and Kev are spot on!!!!! with this one, to date its like going fishing off Nobby's breakwall trying to find out what is going on with adjourned enquiries....I know HRNSW in particular are keen to be more transparent, and a separated file would assist greatly in that regard.
Cheers,
Dan

broncobrad
09-13-2014, 02:18 AM
Maybe HISGEN65 could throw some light on this one for me. Waiting to see what the adjourned inquiry which was opened on 4/9/14 Race 7 at Redcliffe into the performance of Jaccka Lauchie driven by B Barnes, a concessional driver will reveal. We often hear different reasons as to why the sport is on the nose to the general punting crowd...but this drive gold plates how the sport is still viewed by many. A mate of mine (who doesn't mind a decent punt but rarely on a pacer) was straight on the blower asking did I see it, just so happens I had also had a small interest only bet on the horse in question. I was prepared to say the drivers inexperience may be a factor but by God it looked bad.

Trying to find information about when a date has been set down for the inquiry, or has been heard and a finding has been handed down is damn near impossible. I keep checking old stewards reports to see if anything has been tacked on but zilch.

Decide for yourselves, the replay link is below. Messenger speaks for a lot of us when it comes to finding this sort of stuff (which really should be much easier in 2014), keep it up.

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=RE040914&ms=qld#REC04091401

Richard prior
09-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Jesus that was a shocker Brad, You would have been counting your winnings coming to the corner.

Nina
09-13-2014, 08:06 PM
I think you should wait until the enquiry is over before commenting

broncobrad
09-14-2014, 12:18 AM
G'day Nina

As you say, we should wait until the inquiry is over...I agree...and give the driver the extreme benefit of the doubt.

My issue on this thread, is how the hell can anyone know what is happening with an adjourned inquiry when nobody, except apparently the stewards and the parties concerned in the inquiry. The rest of us are left to wonder what, when or where anything is happening in regard to a questionable drive...then out of the blue the results are tacked onto the end of a stewards report covered in cobwebs.

What we are asking for here Nina is more transparency/access to information that should be easily available to us...or for someone to point us in the right direction so we can access this mysterious murky world of adjourned inquiries.

Race For Fun
09-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Bronocobrad

What we are asking for here Nina is more transparency/access to information that should be easily available to us...or for someone to point us in the right direction so we can access this mysterious murky world of adjourned inquiries.

It looks like it would be easy to do as the Australian Harness Racing web site already has a News Room page with a Stewards Wrap section in each state. All it would take is to upload the reports to this section, I would think.

Messenger
09-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Thanks Toni, I did not know about that Stewards Wrap section under the News Room tab on the AHR site. It seems to have titbits from several states. I am not sure what you mean by a Stewards Wrap section in each state - I am guessing you are meaning 'Stewards Reports'.
The big problem is that adjourned inquiries do not have their own separate report but are eventually tacked onto who knows what day's report. They just need their own separate title/link - my preference would be to put this with the relevant state's stewards reports but if they want to put it in the AHR's stewards wrap, I could get used to that.

Messenger
09-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Of course I totally agree Trish and I have sent an email to HRV to request that adjourned inquiries have their own link on the Stewards Reports list instead of being tacked onto another meets report
Not even a reply from HRV so I have sent it again - Geez they need to lift their game

Messenger
09-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Chairman of Stewards Victoria has got back to us

In relation to your question about the difficulty in finding out the result of an adjourned inquiry and subsequent recommendation, it is not possible to assign an adjourned inquiry it’s own report title. Stewards Reports are not populated on the website manually, but are formulated off the National database from the meeting calendar. HRV Stewards will post any serious matters or inquiries which generate considerable public interest under the ‘Stewards Wrap’ section of the www.harness.org.au website. Other adjourned inquiries will be posted on the Stewards Report at the meeting which they were concluded. I will also endeavour to ensure they are posted to the meeting at which the inquiry was adjourned so that they will be easier to follow-up for interested parties.

This may help.

Race For Fun
09-22-2014, 10:07 PM

In relation to your question about the difficulty in finding out the result of an adjourned inquiry and subsequent recommendation, it is not possible to assign an adjourned inquiry it’s own report title. Stewards Reports are not populated on the website manually, but are formulated off the National database from the meeting calendar. HRV Stewards will post any serious matters or inquiries which generate considerable public interest under the ‘Stewards Wrap’ section of the www.harness.org.au website. Other adjourned inquiries will be posted on the Stewards Report at the meeting which they were concluded. I will also endeavour to ensure they are posted to the meeting at which the inquiry was adjourned so that they will be easier to follow-up for interested parties.

This may help.

Kev I'm sure that if you started up that I. T. business that I mentioned in another thread you would be able to add a Tab to click on and there would be all the adjourned inquiries. Imagine how much the Web site cost harness racing and they can't use a database to generate a field. But I bet you could Kev. :-)

At least you can't say they didn't reply.

Messenger
09-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Kev I'm sure that if you started up that I. T. business that I mentioned in another thread you would be able to add a Tab to click on and there would be all the adjourned inquiries. Imagine how much the Web site cost harness racing and they can't use a database to generate a field. But I bet you could Kev. :-)

At least you can't say they didn't reply.

I am on your wavelength Toni. I did wonder how you could add the adjourned inquiry result to the original meeting but you could not add it with its own heading :confused:

I may still ask them this but it was strange how a written email could have a tone to it that made me wonder whether I could even be bothered with them - I have little doubt that the Chairman sees me as nothing more than a bother

allanjg
09-22-2014, 11:37 PM
hi kev, i wiil try to put some light on your querying,...if jack sprat was the driver,straper or a stable hand etc,that was the subject of a inquirery ,the likes of you or i as just interested parties will be on a need to know basis.... we the public will get to know the outcome when the enquirery is completed.... but the licenced people such as the trainer,the owner or the manager of a synd.of owners through the trainer would be kept in the loop....now i will stand to be corrected on this but i think this is how it goes....

Messenger
09-23-2014, 02:42 AM
Hi Allan, I agree that we do not need to be kept in the loop - I just want it to be easy for us to find the result of an adjourned inquiry. Maybe the Stewards wrap always has this info but I doubt it (will be monitoring from now on) and as for having to read every stewards report in case the adjourned inquiry you are interested in, is tacked on to who knows what meeting - well that is joke and an indictment on Harness Racing's Stewards and Public Relations departments (unless covering up the fact that we are going easy on offenders!)

Let's say I was a punter and was affected by a drive which resulted in an adjourned inquiry - shouldn't it be easy for me to eventually find out the result of that inquiry. I do not see many driving inquiries in the Stewards Wrap up now

allanjg
09-23-2014, 01:46 PM
i totally agree with you kevin,surely the stewards don`t have that big a backlog of unheard inquiries,i can understand the more serious cases taking time to get through with appeals ,lawyers and vcat and such,but the lesser offences such as driving,track behavior etc,should be, you would think, got through quickly and made public for us to see...even a hot line to a public relations department would be very helpful....

Messenger
09-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Race 3 at Melton last Friday

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX260914&ms=vic#MXM26091405

From the Stewards Report:

Driver Nathan Jack was questioned about the tactics he adopted on Smiling High, in particular his decision to surrender the lead in the early stages which appeared in contrast to the racing pattern established by this mare. Mr Jack stated that it was not a preconceived plan to surrender the lead as he was unsure whether he could cross Patchitupbaby (Greg Sugars). Mr Jack added that he drove the mare with the knowledge that he had been run down the previous week when leading and when challenged by Ultimate CC NZ early in the race thought it was a good horse to follow.

It all seems very reasonable.
What are the Stewards thinking but not stating?
I'm not sure about the "good horse to follow" bit as he never looked like he intended to hold the lead

Messenger
10-03-2014, 03:44 PM

This may help.

Would it be disrespectful for me to say All Talk - No Action?
The adjourned Jason Lee did not make it into Stewards Wrap nor is it posted under the original Ballarat Stewards Report (not that I think that is the answer) so the only way you would know the result is if you stumbled across it tacked onto the Terang Stewards report (or this forum :D)

Easy solution : All adjourned inquiries should have their conclusions posted in Steward Wrap

Race For Fun
10-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Would it be disrespectful for me to say All Talk - No Action?
The adjourned Jason Lee did not make it into Stewards Wrap nor is it posted under the original Ballarat Stewards Report (not that I think that is the answer) so the only way you would know the result is if you stumbled across it tacked onto the Terang Stewards report (or this forum :D)

Easy solution : All adjourned inquiries should have their conclusions posted in Steward Wrap

I think they are just toying with your emotions :-(

Messenger
10-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Any Stewards read our forum?

It looks like being Wednesday at best before last Friday's Ballarat, Newcastle or Albion Park steward's reports are posted - slack!

Still waiting on an answer as to why ALL adjourned inquiry results cannot be reported in Stewards Wrap

Messenger
11-18-2014, 07:07 PM
From last Friday's Stewards Report that went up today but relating to Oct 24

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=MX141114&fromstate=vic

Stewards concluded an inquiry into the conduct of licensed stablehand Craig Wight and licensed driver William Pace when the horses returned to the stabling area following the running of Race 2 at Tabcorp Park Melton on 24 October 2014. Initial evidence was taken from all parties on the night, with further evidence adduced at this inquiry. After considering the evidence of all parties involved, Mr Wight was issued with a fine of $250 under Rule 231(2) in that he misconducted himself by gestures and comments directed at driver Darren Pace. Mr William Pace was fined $500 under Rule 231(2) for subsequently engaging a physical contact with Mr Wight. Given the nature and location of the conduct, as well as the good records of both gentlemen, each fine was wholly suspended for 12 months provided they do not breach a conduct related rule in that time. All parties were reminded of their obligations to act in a professional manner and carefully consider any emotional comments and/or actions.

This was the race in question which saw driver Darren Pace suspended

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX241014&ms=vic&fromstate=vic#MXC24101405

William should have been belting Darren not the Wights for this effort which put the odds on fav out of biz

Messenger
11-21-2014, 11:06 AM
I missed this when it was first released but so must have most of the drivers because in most of the preliminaries I have watched, you will see at least a couple of drivers talking to each other.

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=24555

Harness Racing Victoria (HRV) Stewards remind drivers of their obligation under Rule 162(1)(c) which relates to talking or communicating with fellow drivers whilst performing the preliminary, at the start point and during a race.
Stewards have previously notified drivers to cease this practice, however will now be issuing cautions as a first offence and subsequent penalty if any further breach of Rule 162(1)(c) is identified.
Australian Rule of Harness Racing 162 (1)(c) states: A driver shall not once on the track speak, communicate or signal to any person other than an authorised official.

Of course it is all just PR as we know and expect drivers will be talking to their colleagues during the course of the day

I think we could all forget about it if investigation and penalties for collusion were so severe that only the fools would consider it

Messenger
01-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Melton (Ouyen) from Friday has still not had the Stewards Report posted - if every single Saturday meet and even yesterday's Hamilton has then it would want to be an extraordinary reason for us to have to wait until Tuesday for Friday's

Messenger
05-05-2015, 10:10 PM
From Saturday's Melton

Gavin Lang (Chilli Palmer NZ) was questioned regarding his tactics in the early stages when there was an option to move forward three wide to take a forward position when it was apparent that the speed was moderate. Driver Lang reported that he was mindful that the leader Cold Major and the horse racing to its outside Smudge Bromac NZ would be reluctant to hand up any forward position and he was then forced to race at the rear of the field but when the pace quickened from the 800m and the last half was run in 54.7 seconds, Chilli Palmer NZ raced wider rounding the home turn on the final occasion but was unable to make ground due the quick speed of the last 800m. Driver Lang’s explanation was noted.

Why would this be noted/accepted? If Smudge Bromac does not hand up the death he would be not only holding out Chilli but he would be putting the pressure on his stablemate in the lead. This is a FFA with a lead time slower than the C2 and a Q1 of 33. Geoff Webster was also questioned as to why he did not make a move. I know Chilli is suited to a late fast run at them but that was a joke. This horse was the Fav
(and NO I did not have a bet on it - I have just seen it now)

It is up to the stewards to insist on some competitive racing because this is a betting industry

Interesting that in the next race over the shorter distance Gav could get to the death despite a much faster pace

ps It would be interesting to know if the Stewart stable supported one of their runners in the 8th as the 'team' did a good job of stitching up the Fav and winning with their less fancied runner (Gav gets another 'noted' in the Stewards Report)

allanjg
05-05-2015, 10:48 PM
From Saturday's Melton

Gavin Lang (Chilli Palmer NZ) was questioned regarding his tactics in the early stages when there was an option to move forward three wide to take a forward position when it was apparent that the speed was moderate. Driver Lang reported that he was mindful that the leader Cold Major and the horse racing to its outside Smudge Bromac NZ would be reluctant to hand up any forward position and he was then forced to race at the rear of the field but when the pace quickened from the 800m and the last half was run in 54.7 seconds, Chilli Palmer NZ raced wider rounding the home turn on the final occasion but was unable to make ground due the quick speed of the last 800m. Driver Lang’s explanation was noted.

Why would this be noted/accepted? If Smudge Bromac does not hand up the death he would be not only holding out Chilli but he would be putting the pressure on his stablemate in the lead. This is a FFA with a lead time slower than the C2 and a Q1 of 33. Geoff Webster was also questioned as to why he did not make a move. I know Chilli is suited to a late fast run at them but that was a joke. This horse was the Fav
(and NO I did not have a bet on it - I have just seen it now)

It is up to the stewards to insist on some competitive racing because this is a betting industry

Interesting that in the next race over the shorter distance Gav could get to the death despite a much faster pace

ps It would be interesting to know if the Stewart stable supported one of their runners in the 8th as the 'team' did a good job of stitching up the Fav and winning with their less fancied runner (Gav gets another 'noted' in the Stewards Report)

kevin, you are right on the money...;)

aussiebreno
05-05-2015, 11:16 PM
It's Chilli Palmer of course he was always going to stay back. No problem here.

Richard prior
05-05-2015, 11:39 PM
It's Chilli Palmer of course he was always going to stay back. No problem here.
+1, Chilli needs a frantic pace early but this race was totally run upside down for him, Just about impossible to make ground from the rear of the field when they run a 54.7 last half.

Maorisidol
05-06-2015, 12:11 AM
+1, Chilli needs a frantic pace early but this race was totally run upside down for him, Just about impossible to make ground from the rear of the field when they run a 54.7 last half.

+2 theres no chance in hell Chilli is a death horse and as if the death horse would let him to the chair anyway, good decision Gavin

Messenger
05-06-2015, 12:18 AM
The No's have it. The long and the short of it is that Chilli should never start favourite in a race as without a strong pace early he is never going to be able to finish over the top of them - Right?

Richard prior
05-06-2015, 08:14 AM
I think that's exactly right Kev, I like the horse but just could not back him at any odds with confidence with his racing style, A fast pace is a must for him and should never have been the Favourite. Pretty sure that he will prove me wrong on the odd occasion though but it's risky backing him.

Messenger
05-06-2015, 10:18 PM
So I am guessing everyone thinks that Chris Alford had no alternative but to just sit there in the 1x1 on the $1.40 fav when the leader walked a 35.6Q in the 2nd Vicbred at Ballarat tonight
http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=BA060515&ms=vic#BAC06051507

Richard prior
05-06-2015, 10:29 PM
So I am guessing everyone thinks that Chris Alford had no alternative but to just sit there in the 1x1 on the $1.40 fav when the leader walked a 35.6Q in the 2nd Vicbred at Ballarat tonight
http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=BA060515&ms=vic#BAC06051507
Chris got caught napping big time Kev, Certainly misjudged the slow tempo and should have been off a lot earlier, Didn't notice anything to indicate that he was hauled in but definitley should have been.

Messenger
05-07-2015, 01:52 AM
I am not a big fan of driver's having to notify stewards of driving tactics BUT I am a big fan of stewards expecting drivers to give a horse the best possible chance of winning
In the last at Ballarat tonight, I see following out the leader on a track that has no sprint lane as a risky tactic when you are driving the best horse in the race - especially when you are the only horse on the 2nd line and had options

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=BA060515&ms=vic#BAC06051501

Messenger
05-09-2015, 10:15 PM
My Kiwi Mate's first Oz run was considered spectacular because he had to come from so far back after breaking early
An inquiry was adjourned as to why he broke but why doesn't the Stewards Report (Kilmore 29/4) contain any information about the cause - surely there must have been some questioning etc before it was decided to adjourn it.
As usual we will be hard pressed to hear the wash up of this for despite requests to improve communication by posting the results of adjourned inquiries in Stewards wrap (see first 2 pages of this thread)

Messenger
05-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Weird abbreviated Stewards Comments at Gloucester Park - instead of abbreviating the death as 2 they abbreviate it as L1W - RIDICULOUS in my book

Messenger
06-02-2015, 09:53 PM
The form guide says that Senor Macray is ODM after his one and only start - is there a way that can be overruled without him racing as he is drawn 2 at his second start tonight

http://www.harness.org.au/form.cfm?mc=SP020615#3

Njcstables
06-03-2015, 12:23 AM
He would need to trial satisfactorily twice Kev but it could be put back in draw without racing.

Messenger
06-06-2015, 03:13 AM
Why would there have been a Query Driving Tactics for Race 1 winner Crusader Acey at Melton tonight?
He handed up the lead and then used the sprint lane to win

In Race 5 Im Barney Rubble handed up the lead and in Race 6 Shes A Runa handed up the lead - why no QDT for them? Not that I believe there should have been - just questioning what made R.1 different?

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX050615&ms=vic

Messenger
06-19-2015, 01:14 PM
http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Muscat-to-appear-at-stewards-inquiry

At my first skimming read of this, I thought Mr Crapper was a horse

On Monday 15 June 2015, Harness Racing NSW (HRNSW) Steward’s conducted an Inquiry into a report received from Racing Analytical Services LTD (RASL) that prohibited substances were detected in a urine sample obtained from Mr Crapper on Wednesday 20 May 2015 following him driving trackwork.
A confirmatory analysis conducted by the ChemCentre in Western Australia confirmed the presence of the prohibited substances.
Mr Crapper pleaded guilty to a charge pursuant to Australian Harness Racing Rule 252C in that he when carrying on or purporting to carry on a licensed activity, was in the opinion of Stewards, under the influence of drugs.

Then I got down to the 'pleaded guilty' party and thought WTF. It sounds like a horse's name and if you skim over the red part you will understand my mistake LOL

Adaptor
06-19-2015, 04:02 PM
"Birdy" Crapper worked at the Meadowands in the US for Peter Walsh. Originally from Melbourne.

Messenger
06-19-2015, 04:10 PM
"Birdy" Crapper worked at the Meadowands in the US for Peter Walsh. Originally from Melbourne.
For a second there Noel, I confused him with a CBS employee ;)

Messenger
06-27-2015, 02:12 PM
http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/-Smokin-Joe-strikes-at-Cranbourne

Somehow I think we have our values wrong. Kucks should have got 3mths for cruelty to the horse and $500 (+) for making the industry look bad - not the other way around. It could be construed that if he had not struck the horse in the vicinity of other people he may not have been suspended (Yes I know, if there were no other people around nobody would have known and there would have been no charges at all) I am of course assuming he did not strike the horse by way of protecting himself.

ps In discussions on cruelty, unfortunately the post aboves subject was another example

Messenger
07-02-2015, 08:27 PM
http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/HRV-Media-Release--Murray-appointed-HRV-Chairman-of-Stewards

HRV CEO John Anderson welcomed Murray to the role.

We know that John is not a believer in new blood ;)

Messenger
07-04-2015, 09:52 PM
http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Stewards-scratch-Olivieri-filly-from-100-000-final

What I do not understand is why the horse was scratched only 5 minutes before the race if they found the blood puncture wound on the neck of Sheer Rocknroll earlier in the afternoon when visiting Olivieri's stable

jackthepunter
07-05-2015, 12:53 AM
http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/HRV-Media-Release--Murray-appointed-HRV-Chairman-of-Stewards

HRV CEO John Anderson welcomed Murray to the role.

We know that John is not a believer in new blood ;)

Yes because that way he has control

Messenger
07-05-2015, 01:26 PM
I suppose what I was getting at John, is whether the stewards were umming and ahhing as to whether they scratched the horse as it got within 5mins of potentially diddling everyone.

Messenger
08-09-2015, 11:00 PM
I do not envy the job of the stewards.
Read the report for race 5 at Terang on July 29
http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=TE290715

I reckon they knew there was a lot wrong with this race but could do little more than they did
http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=TE290715&ms=vic#TEC29071502

The race was run upside down but still
Our Bedrock who had run a Track Record the week before at Stawell was beaten 164m, admittedly he likes the short course but he was going backwards after 1200m
Our Supreme Guy was beaten 66m and yet came out next start and won in a smart 1.56
While Major Laugh who was asked to do it harder than these two was second only beaten a length

What do people think?

Messenger
08-13-2015, 08:51 PM
http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/George-Schembri-disqualified-for-kicking-horse

3 mths is a little light IMO, something closer to a year in my book

Messenger
09-17-2015, 02:05 AM
This may have been going on for a long time as I really cannot keep up with all the places one can find harness news but I am going to give it the thumbs up whether it is an old or new iniative:
Good to see Supplementary Stewards Reports in the HRV newsroom

http://www.hrv.org.au/news-room/

eg

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=27578

I have complained in the past about not knowing where to look for adjourned inquiries from stewards reports (they were often tacked onto any old subsequent stewards report) so this is a good sign IMO
I would only suggest that it might be better placed in 'Stewards Reports' than News and I hope it includes adjourned inquiries

Messenger
10-07-2015, 12:20 AM
The winner of Race 2 at Shep tonight - Magicnracing, attracted a bit of the stewards' attention
PRS VXBR OPS D/CSU D/CT PH 3WM W1 HI WP QUER D/F PRB
13 comments there - it is a bit like a glossary of stewards terminology LOL
See if you know all the abbreviations before you use the link (and hover) to check your answers ;)

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=SP061015&ms=vic#SPC06101506

Adaptor
10-07-2015, 08:51 AM
All of that and it still won !
Withstanding the protest as well !!!

It hadn't had a start since Dec 2013 !

Messenger
10-31-2015, 01:55 AM
Second place-getter Hot To Rock disqualified in the last at Shep tonight. I guess it had to be for going inside the pegs (and not waiting long enough for sprint lane). Somebody remind me to read the Stewards Report when it comes out

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=SP301015&ms=vic#SPC30101508

Hermione
10-31-2015, 07:08 AM
Quite interesting link :) Like the one further down D/CTALK and wonder at what stage of the race, pre? during? or after? that this took place? Keep up the good work :) This is in response to Post 53 btw

Messenger
11-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Race 4 at Bendigo tonight is going to make interesting reading - the Stewards summary reads dreadfully for promoting our code.
2 drivers fined for talking and the trainer of one of them fined for the stablemate

We might need Nathan to fill in the gaps for us (nice 2nd)

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=BN011115&ms=vic#BNC01111501

ps Another small field producing a fast time - not what you expect (only .6 outside 2150 Tk Rec - track must have been fast as one of the 1650's also super quick)

Messenger
11-05-2015, 01:54 AM
Second place-getter Hot To Rock disqualified in the last at Shep tonight. I guess it had to be for going inside the pegs (and not waiting long enough for sprint lane). Somebody remind me to read the Stewards Report when it comes out

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=SP301015&ms=vic#SPC30101508

Stewards were fully satisfied that Hot To Rock NZ had progressed forward to a degree where it gained a noticeable advantage in obtaining a run it was otherwise not entitled to and therefore disqualified Hot To Rock NZ from its 2nd placing under the provisions of 66(h) for gaining an unfair advantage and all clear was given on the new numbers of 6, 4, 3, 2 and 7. Driver Josh Aiken (Hot To Rock NZ) pleaded guilty to an associated charge under AR163(1)(c) for permitting his horse to race inside the line of two marker pegs racing around the home turn on the final occasion. The licence to drive in races of Mr Aiken was suspended for a period of 2 weeks to commence midnight 1 November 2015. In assessing penalty stewards took into account Mr Aiken’s guilty plea, the frequency with which Mr Aiken is currently driving, the usual penalties which apply under such circumstance, however placed significant note on the fact of Mr Aiken’s immediate admission of his wrongdoing and once realizing he raced inside the line of marker pegs he attempted to take immediate corrective measures.

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=SP301015&fromstate=vic

2 weeks is not enough. Did Stewards also take into account that lots of EW, place, Tri punters lost their money because of Mr Aiken's incompetence?

Race 4 at Bendigo tonight is going to make interesting reading - the Stewards summary reads dreadfully for promoting our code.
2 drivers fined for talking and the trainer of one of them fined for the stablemate

We might need Nathan to fill in the gaps for us (nice 2nd)

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=BN011115&ms=vic#BNC01111501

ps Another small field producing a fast time - not what you expect (only .6 outside 2150 Tk Rec - track must have been fast as one of the 1650's also super quick)

Fullness Of Time underwent a pre-race veterinary examination after having started at Tabcorp Park Melton on the previous evening and was subsequently cleared to start.

Chris Alford (Milly Perez) and Alex Ashwood (Cillas Boy NZ) were both cautioned for talking during the pre-race circle formation prior to the start.

Fullness Of Time tired over the concluding stages to be beaten in excess of 59m and a warning was issued.

Alex Ashwood driver of Cillas Boy NZ pleaded guilty to a charge under AR163(1)(a) for causing interference in that racing around the first turn he permitted his drive to shift inwards when insufficiently clear of Fullness Of Time resulting in that horse contacting the near side sulky wheel of Cillas Boy NZ and pacing roughly which in turn resulted in Lots More Art NZ, which was racing to the inside of Fullness Of Time, being tightened and racing in restricted room for some distance and racing roughly in consequence. The licence to drive in races of Mr Ashwood was suspended for 4 weeks to commence midnight 7 November 2015. In assessing penalty stewards took into account the driver’s guilty plea, the current frequency with which Mr Ashwood is driving, the degree of interference suffered to other runners which resulted in contact to the legs of Fullness Of Time and Cillas Boy NZ receiving a flat tyre which in the opinion of stewards had diminished that horse’s capability of remaining competitive throughout the race. Stewards were also mindful that this was the fifth breach of the interference rule by Mr Ashwood inside an 11 month period; a factor which carried significant weight when determining penalty.

Zac Steenhuis (Fullness Of Time) was queried in relation to the tactics adopted on this mare and in particular his reasons for obtaining the lead which appeared contrary to the recent racing pattern of the horse. Mr Steenhuis advised that after racing the previous evening and being held up once surrendering the lead and racing three positions back on the marker pegs, connections advised it was their desire to have the mare race forward in an attempt to lead. When questioned in relation to these instructions trainer Larry Eastman confirmed that that was the intention of connections. In assessing the matter Mr Eastman was subsequently fined $100 under AR44(1) for failing to advise of tactics to be adopted which were contrary to the most recent racing pattern of Fullness Of Time

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=BN011115&fromstate=vic

So Fullness of Time with Mr Steenhuis teaming up for the 2nd night in a row puts pay to the 2nd favourite and 'coincidently' helps stablemate and favourite win - gets off scot free
While the stitched up Mr Ashwood on Cillas Boy gets 4wks
No wonder we get labelled the red hots

Messenger
04-23-2016, 01:37 PM
QDT - Do stewards think they have to ask this question whenever an odds on favorite gets beaten?
In race 5 at Melton, Hall Of Famer from gate 1 did not look like he was able to hold the lead but got a QDT
probably because he had odds on favorite Hectorjayjay SR1on his back who also got a QDT (for gambling on HOF holding the lead?)

Messenger
04-25-2016, 02:58 PM
We now have access to a weekly Victorian Stewards wrap on video

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=29598

Such a program could prove interesting but the first 2 examples were so obvious that they did not warrant inspection
I am still not sure why the 3rd regarding Jason Lee only warranted a fine compared to the first 2 and as for the explanation of the differing driving tactics on Tribal Fella - the acceptance of the explanations is laughable IMO

Good to see captions available but computer generated captions throw up some funny ones
eg Trots fans = trucks vans
Cody Winnell = Cody what lol

ps Rumour going around that Cody has been approached to be the stand in double for Ryan Gosling ;)

Messenger
06-04-2016, 01:49 AM
Terrible internet in Mapleton and I can't download the replay of race 5 - can anybody tell me why there is an adjourned inquiry for Exciteusinthecity?

Messenger
07-02-2016, 02:40 PM
They cannot be great tacticians our Stewards
Kate Gath got a QDT from the Stewards
While the story is:
http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Kate-s-clever-drive-ends-in-a-W

"Endsino became a two-time Group 1 winner tonight at Tabcorp Park Melton courtesy of a stellar Kate Gath drive in the Empire Stallions Vicbred Super Series Trotting Mares Final for harness racing four-year-olds.

Messenger
07-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Lately the Results are often missing Tk Rating - I think this falls under the Steward's umbrella

Messenger
08-01-2016, 07:29 PM
The Stewards must not have wanted to go home at Melton on Friday night
The Stewards report after the last included:

Mr Justice was also questioned regarding the tactics adopted on Real Lucky NZ during the middle stages after the colt led and maintained a significant distance in front of the main body of the field. Mr Justice explained that after driving forward after the start and establishing the lead racing into the first turn, he then elected to maintain that advantage racing towards the back straight on the first occasion. Mr Justice added that after attempting to ease Real Lucky NZ slightly approaching the 1600m, the colt resented this and he therefore continued to allow Real Lucky NZ to stride comfortably in the lead. Mr Justice further explained that during the middle stages he maintained a consistent tempo and he felt that the main body of the field had the opportunity to improve closer behind his drive, however failed to do so. Mr Justice further added that over the latter stages he then asked Real Lucky NZ to quicken, particularly approaching the 400m, before the colt was narrowly beaten by a half head into 2nd place. Mr Justice further put forward that although he led the field by some distance during the early and middle stages, the sectional times recorded were not overly fast. After considering the explanation tendered and reviewing the sectional times recorded, Stewards noted that the lead time was recorded in 45.6 seconds, only 0.4 seconds quicker than the average lead time for this distance, that the first quarter was recorded in 30.1 seconds and the second quarter in 29.7 seconds. Stewards determined that although Real Lucky had led by some distance during the early and middle stages of the race, the sectional times recorded, especially in this class of race, were not indicative of Mr Justice rating Real Lucky NZ in an unreasonable manner. Based on this, Stewards considered that the tactics adopted and especially the sectional times recorded were not supportive of Mr Justice failing to afford Real Lucky NZ the opportunity to finish the race off in a competitive manner, which was ultimately reflective in the final finishing position of Real Lucky NZ when that colt was narrowly beaten into 2nd place.

A lot of hoo haa about nothing (surely they had looked at the sectionals before wasting Lance's time)

Adaptor
08-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Interesting video after a protracted protest hearing in the second race, the 2yo at Bendigo last night.

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=BN020816&ms=vic#BNC02081607

Michael Bellman winning driver received a caution for shifting ground, but retained the race.

Gavin Lang's drive to finiish second, and protest unsuccessfully, earned a chain of at least 12 references in the stewwards comments .

Messenger
09-06-2016, 04:00 AM
I am going to try and remember to read them this season
Of interest so far
Mildura R5 Sep2 must look out for adjourned inquiry as stewards not convinced by Mr Devcic's answers - a suggestion of team driving

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=ML020916&fromstate=vic

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=ML020916&ms=vic#MLC02091601

Messenger
09-07-2016, 03:30 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=YG050916&fromstate=vic

From the Yarra Valley report for R6

Chris Alford, driver of Omy Son, was questioned regarding his tactics and in particular his decision to move to the inside of runners rounding the home turn on the final occasion rather than follow the eventual winner Chivilcoy NZ. Driver Alford reported that he felt Omy Son was not travelling well enough at that stage to race wider on the track and he elected to move to the inside as he felt that Knocked Off Early, which was racing in the one out position, would give ground allowing him to make an inside run and gain clear running around the leader Mister Oz in the home straight. When this did not eventuate as the leader Mister Oz and Knocked Off Early continued to race on at this point of the race he was placed in a held up position for a short period of time until he was able to obtain clear running at the 200m. Omy Son broke without interference shortly after entering the straight. After considering driver Alford’s explanation stewards issued him with a caution for his lack of judgment at this point of the race.

He thought the $6 pop that was racing in the 1x1 would tire but was happy to run up behind the $122 pop who had led?

I certainly would question his lack of judgement!

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=YG050916&ms=vic#YGC05091606

Messenger
09-09-2016, 10:14 PM
I see a QDT next to Jo An Leonie after R3 at Bendigo, I will await the Stewards Report to find out why David Moran was not interested in the sprint lane

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=BN090916&ms=vic#BNC09091610

Messenger
09-13-2016, 10:09 PM
I see a QDT next to Jo An Leonie after R3 at Bendigo, I will await the Stewards Report to find out why David Moran was not interested in the sprint lane

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=BN090916&ms=vic#BNC09091610

David Moran, driver of Jo An Leoni, was questioned in relation to his decision approaching the home turn to direct his drive from behind the leader, Wilma, into a one out position following Dolly Mach Lombo prior to the sprint lane becoming available. Mr Moran explained that prior to him directing his drive to a one wide position, Wilma appeared to be under significant pressure and that Dolly Mach Lombo, which was racing to its outside, appeared to be travelling better. Mr Moran added that he was of the opinion that he would be able to gain more momentum by shifting wider on the track rather than being held up and waiting for the sprint lane to become available. Mr Moran further explained that it also appeared that Dolly Mach Lombo had a tendency to hang out and he was of the belief that he may have gained a clear run between that runner and Wilma due to Dolly Mach Lombo’s racing manners. However John Caldow (Dolly Mach Lombo) was able to maintain his position to the outside of Wilma, resulting in Jo An Leonie being held up in the early stages of the home straight and rounding the home turn. In assessing the explanation given by Mr Moran and also their own observations Stewards could not be satisfied that by Mr Moran directing his drive into a one wide position that it was to the detriment of his chances and were satisfied that by doing this he was able to gain some momentum prior to gaining clear running. Stewards could not be further satisfied that by electing to remain trailing Wilma that this would advantage Mr Moran to a better position and therefore recorded his comments. Stewards intend to view the betting related to this event.

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=BN090916

I must remember Chairman of the panel, Nathan Moy, if this is the best he can do
How could the stewards NOT be satisfied that remaining behind Wilma and using the sprint lane would have advantaged Mr Moran when they say that the actions he did take "resulted in Jo An Leonie being held up in the early stages of the home straight" - you do not get held up if you use the sprint lane

and then LOL they say they "intend to view the betting related to this event" WHY? You have just finished telling us you have no concerns with the drive

There is also no mention of the fumbling he seemed to be doing when he did get clear and I have seen better efforts in a pony trot

SERIOUSLY

(and NO, I did not have a bet)

arlington
09-14-2016, 12:57 PM
I must remember Chairman of the panel, Nathan Moy, if this is the best he can do
How could the stewards NOT be satisfied that remaining behind Wilma and using the sprint lane would have advantaged Mr Moran when they say that the actions he did take "resulted in Jo An Leonie being held up in the early stages of the home straight" - you do not get held up if you use the sprint lane

and then LOL they say they "intend to view the betting related to this event" WHY? You have just finished telling us you have no concerns with the drive

There is also no mention of the fumbling he seemed to be doing when he did get clear and I have seen better efforts in a pony trot

SERIOUSLY

(and NO, I did not have a bet)

Had your angry pants on with this one Kev?

On face value, the evidence on the night, I'd agree with the stewards decision but would be prudent to look into the betting that wasn't at their disposal on the night.

A key point of D Moran's submission was he was able to gain some momentum prior to gaining clear running. He didn't want to be holding his horse back waiting for the sprint lane to become available whilst the eventual winner stole a march on him and was heading for home under full steam. Hard to tell by the footage but the winner, before the sprint lane, may have gained a neck/half length on him and not many 3yo fillies can explode like Quinny once the brakes are released at the top of the straight.
Always looks different when a horse gets out late, having not expended the energy the others have, making it look like it may have won.
Another 20 bucks on one of three horses would have seen the favouritism change, 3/1...4/1 fave sounds right, not 1.80 stand out. Did you notice any betting fluctuations either way Kev?
At the finish line the winner seemed to be holding D Moran's filly, so whether his filly had peaked or the winner was still full of running, don't know if he was going to catch her.

I couldn't see much difference in the form/trial performances of the 1st and 2nd fillies and from memory the form analysis gave the winner a good chance.
Not sure if D Moran is ever flambouyant in his whip use, and you also need to consider the penalty structure for whip use these days. Not just the rules on the day but where a driver might be at with their 28 day reset.
Looked like it was a pretty experienced stewards panel supporting the Chairman on the night.

Messenger
09-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I did have my angry pants on LOL or maybe I had my poker visor on
It looked really off to me and we cannot afford for things to look off.
I am a poker player and when something does not feel right that is when you suspect a bluff (or a trap). A good bluff tells a logical story.
David Moran will be glad to know I am in the minority on his drive

Messenger
09-16-2016, 02:59 AM
I am going to try and remember to read them this season
Of interest so far
Mildura R5 Sep2 must look out for adjourned inquiry as stewards not convinced by Mr Devcic's answers - a suggestion of team driving

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=ML020916&fromstate=vic

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=ML020916&ms=vic#MLC02091601

Has anyone seen the results of this adjourned inquiry - I have seen adjourned inquiries later than this date attached to other stewards reports but I am yet to see the results for this one

Messenger
09-19-2016, 02:50 PM
I can vouch for the responsiveness of the stewards for within an hour of forwarding the above inquiry to mailto:askthestewards@hrv.org.au I received an answer.
The matter is still under investigation

Messenger
09-23-2016, 12:22 AM
The concern by the stewards over R5 at Maryborough seems a strange one as Jaden Gill was the outsider of the field (and has not won for a couple of years) but they have adjourned the matter for consideration. I cannot see it myself but love that they are obviously being very thorough

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=MH190916

Messenger
09-25-2016, 03:25 AM
Interesting to note that it was the place-getters not the stewards who protested which saw Cardinal Balboa disqualified and lose R4 at Melton

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=MX230916

Messenger
09-29-2016, 04:10 AM
The last race at Mildura on Sunday
Poor old Wrinkle Knutt has to undergo a pre and post race inspection because he has had over 200 starts
Then Ellen Tormey was suspended for whipping him on more than 20 occasions
and he deadheats with his stablemate for first (the stable did have half the six horse field)
I suppose he was lucky that there was no protest (unlikely from stable!) about the whipping advantage

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=ML250916&fromstate=vic

Messenger
10-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Has anyone seen the results of this adjourned inquiry - I have seen adjourned inquiries later than this date attached to other stewards reports but I am yet to see the results for this one

SUPPLEMENTARY REPORT:

Mildura – 2 September 2016

RACE 5 – PARK DOUGLAS PRINTING PACE (2190 MS)

Stewards have concluded an inquiry into the driving tactics adopted by Boris Devcic when the driver of Ona Rocky Beach NZ in the abovementioned race.

The concerns held by Stewards centered around Mr Devcic’s decision to drive Ona Rocky Beach NZ forward at the start which appeared in contrast to the tactics adopted in recent times and further Ona Rocky Beach NZ improving to the inside of Gollahman approaching the 1400m which prevented Gollahman from obtaining the position outside the leader The Dapper Don, which was also trained by Mr Devcic.

This matter was initially adjourned to allow Stewards the opportunity to review all wagering on this event.

Mr Devcic was advised that whilst Stewards held concerns with the tactics he adopted there was not sufficient evidence to pursue the matter further, however Stewards would be closely monitoring the tactics adopted on stable runners moving forward.

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=ML011016

Sadly, it can be summarized as: The Stewards have done Nothing

Messenger
10-04-2016, 01:52 PM
News from the Vic Stewards.
If you are on the lookout for the result of an adjourned inquiry you will no longer have to read every single stewards report (as you do not know where it may pop up).
From now on Adjourned Inquiry reports will be included in weekly 'Stewards Supplementary Reports' which can be found under Stewards Wrap - I am still going to campaign for them to just be given their own heading n Stewards Wrap as Supplementary reports are generally just trainer feedback reports

Messenger
10-04-2016, 08:45 PM
News from the Vic Stewards.
If you are on the lookout for the result of an adjourned inquiry you will no longer have to read every single stewards report (as you do not know where it may pop up).
From now on Adjourned Inquiry reports will be included in weekly 'Stewards Supplementary Reports' which can be found under Stewards Wrap - I am still going to campaign for them to just be given their own heading n Stewards Wrap as Supplementary reports are generally just trainer feedback reports

No - the weekly Supplementary Report is as good as we are going to get and I am not complaining as it beats scouring every Stewards Report to find adjourned inquiries

Messenger
10-09-2016, 07:21 PM
There is an Adjourned Inquiry into R6 at Melton last night
All 6 horses off the front. Stunning Grin outside fr advised of a change of tactic LOL - have a look and see if you think there was any intention other than to lead at all costs.
Dan's call makes it clear that he was not too impressed with the race

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX081016&ms=vic#MXM08101601

aussiebreno
10-10-2016, 03:24 PM
There is an Adjourned Inquiry into R6 at Melton last night
All 6 horses off the front. Stunning Grin outside fr advised of a change of tactic LOL - have a look and see if you think there was any intention other than to lead at all costs.
Dan's call makes it clear that he was not too impressed with the race

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX081016&ms=vic#MXM08101601
From what I read in the papers and hear about Vallelonga I am not a fan but if they have got a $20 hope to get beaten less than a length without resorting to pulling him up in previous starts or prohibited substances good on them. Well played.

Messenger
10-12-2016, 02:05 AM
Vince Vallelonga, trainer of Stunning Grin, notified stewards a change of tactics for Stunning Grin to be driven less aggressively, circumstances permitting. This information was publicized. Stunning Grin was ultimately driven forward at the start to obtain the lead, and finished in 4th place beaten approximately 3.8 metres. After obtaining preliminary evidence from Rodney Petroff, driver of Stunning Grin and trainer Vince Vallelonga, Stewards adjourned the matter to investigate all relevant matters.

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=MX081016

Messenger
10-18-2016, 01:37 AM
It looks like Boris Devcic is being investigated for team driving again!
It seems the stewards are wanting to satisfy themselves that in R6 at Swan Hill the stablemates were not playing - "I will give you the lead so that you can get to the fence and then I will take it back"

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=FD151016

It is off to another Adjourned Inquiry, I hope they don't feel sorry for Boris - just because he is already suspended for his drive in R4

Toohard
10-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Vince Vallelonga, trainer of Stunning Grin, notified stewards a change of tactics for Stunning Grin to be driven less aggressively, circumstances permitting. This information was publicized. Stunning Grin was ultimately driven forward at the start to obtain the lead, and finished in 4th place beaten approximately 3.8 metres. After obtaining preliminary evidence from Rodney Petroff, driver of Stunning Grin and trainer Vince Vallelonga, Stewards adjourned the matter to investigate all relevant matters.

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=MX081016

There was another change of tactics for same horse Friday night. It caused a bit more confusion. "Further forward at start". Horse had run the gate at its previous 3 starts (the one above included). Further forward this time??? I think this time it was mostly ignored. If the 1 horse wanted to lead then no way it was going to cross it which is what happened. Stunning Grin didn't go further forward... it only got a neck in front of the horse drawn inside it at the start and that one was angling to get behind the leader. So why the need for the COT? All it does is cause confusion. Both times above that horse was driven to give it the best chance of winning (in my opinion). All the COT rule has done here is cause confusion (and frustration!).

Messenger
10-19-2016, 01:58 PM
Talking about giving a horse the best chance of winning Paul.
Here is one from last week where a young fella would have to feel pretty p***** off
He would have lost money on the night for leading and rating
28.2 32.6 28.5 27.8
The horse managed 3rd and its biggest cheque for a year but he was Fined $100 for that 2ndQ

The winner ended up being Times A Bonus - I bet the young fella would have loved to say that to the stewards!

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=BN071016&ms=vic&fromstate=vic#BNC07101601

Toohard
10-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Talking about giving a horse the best chance of winning Paul.
Here is one from last week where a young fella would have to feel pretty p***** off
He would have lost money on the night for leading and rating
28.2 32.6 28.5 27.8
The horse managed 3rd and its biggest cheque for a year but he was Fined $100 for that 2ndQ

The winner ended up being Times A Bonus - I bet the young fella would have loved to say that to the stewards!

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=BN071016&ms=vic&fromstate=vic#BNC07101601

Correct me if I'm wrong but a 32 sec quarter is OK and equates to 45.25kmh. But a 32.6 not OK and (just to put in context) equates to 44.42kmh.

Junior driver... $100 fine.

Again correct me if wrong, but the lights on the poles at the quarters come on to show the slowest time acceptable BEFORE you get to them? So if you run a slow quarter all the light is doing is telling the driver they will get a fine?

djgood
10-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but a 32 sec quarter is OK and equates to 45.25kmh. But a 32.6 not OK and (just to put in context) equates to 44.42kmh.

Again correct me if wrong, but the lights on the poles at the quarters come on to show the slowest time acceptable BEFORE you get to them? So if you run a slow quarter all the light is doing is telling the driver they will get a fine?

its a wonder in these situation why the stewards don't question the other drivers why they let him get away with the slow qtr
driver gets fined for giving his horse every possible chance to win , other drivers get a nothing for not giving their horse every possible chance

Messenger
10-19-2016, 10:27 PM
its a wonder in these situation why the stewards don't question the other drivers why they let him get away with the slow qtr
driver gets fined for giving his horse every possible chance to win , other drivers get a nothing for not giving their horse every possible chance

Exactly David - what if young Ashley said he was looking to hand up

strong persuader
10-20-2016, 02:19 AM
Exactly David - what if young Ashley said he was looking to hand up

Consider this one of the most frustrating rules along with the COT now required.

Have thought that if I were in a 'bad' mood, I would contest a slow quarter fine on the basis of that as a driver, I am not allowed to carry a stopwatch, I cannot fit a speedometer to the sulky, and the by the time the light on the pole lights up, it is too late to remedy the situation.

They are basically saying to drivers that if you lead, don't keep anything in the tank. That is nearly chargeable under not giving your horse every possible chance! Another argument against being fined for a slow quarter!

Messenger
10-20-2016, 02:36 AM
A beautiful summary of the situation Phil

Danno
10-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Consider this one of the most frustrating rules along with the COT now required.

Have thought that if I were in a 'bad' mood, I would contest a slow quarter fine on the basis of that as a driver, I am not allowed to carry a stopwatch, I cannot fit a speedometer to the sulky, and the by the time the light on the pole lights up, it is too late to remedy the situation.

They are basically saying to drivers that if you lead, don't keep anything in the tank. That is nearly chargeable under not giving your horse every possible chance! Another argument against being fined for a slow quarter!

Ditto
Ditto
and Ditto

Without any shadow of doubt the #1 dumbest rule we have,

#2 dumbest rule: can't bet on your own drive.

#3 dumbest rule: change of tactics.

I believe all three rules were instigated in order for a public servant to meet his/her annual KPI's.....there can be no other excuse.

Messenger
10-23-2016, 01:27 PM

I am thinking there must have been a gale blowing at Cranbourne last night or else the stewards would have collected a fortune in fines

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=CR221016&ms=vic

Messenger
10-25-2016, 02:01 AM
An interesting one from Shep Stewards Report. David Moran was in trouble for looking around when he was in the death in Race 6 - it would seem you cannot make it known that you want to give up the death (or lead?)

he motioned by way of head movement as an indication to other runners to progress forward to obtain the position in advance of him in the one wide line. In assessing an appropriate penalty stewards took into account Mr Moran’s immediate admission of wrong doing and guilty plea to the charge. Stewards also assessed the need for drivers to have awareness that motioning to other drivers in this manner is totally inappropriate and would not be condoned. Mr Moran was advised that had stewards been satisfied of any collusion between himself and any other driver the penalty would be a significant period of disqualification.

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=SP201016&fromstate=vic

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=SP201016&ms=vic#SPC20101603

While the most interesting thing from Melton was the Supplementary Report in relation to post 82

Tabcorp Park Melton 8 October 2016 - Race 6 Previously Adjourned Inquiry

At Tabcorp Park Melton on 8 October 2016, HRV Stewards questioned driver Rodney Petroff regarding the driving tactics adopted on Stunning Grin in Race 6 the ‘VHRSC Classic’. After initially adjourning the inquiry, Stewards subsequently interviewed trainer Vince Vallelonga and Arthur Anastasiou owner of Stunning Grin regarding the driving tactics adopted on Stunning Grin. On 21 October 2016, Mr Vallelonga and Mr Petroff were questioned further regarding this matter and after Stewards directed both licensees to provide their mobile telephones for the purpose of being forensically examined in accordance with the Australian Rules of Harness Racing, the inquiry was again adjourned to a date to be determined, to enable Stewards to consider any further evidence of relevance that was obtained.

Messenger
11-06-2016, 06:03 PM
I do not think I would have pleaded guilty to this one if I was Michael Quadra and copped an 8 week suspension! It makes it impossible to appeal the decision on the grounds that 'who says the posn behind the leader is more favourable to all horses compared to the death'. It is a fair whack - I can only think that the Stewards w/o saying it, were worried that he was there to work the favourite. This is the Stewards Report see R7

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=YG011116&fromstate=vic

which includes

Mr Quadara failed to take both a reasonable and permissible opportunity to direct Major Charge into a position behind the leader Queen Of Kings, so as to afford Major Charge a more favourable position, rather than remain in a position outside the leader, where the mare over-raced prior to giving ground from passing the 400m to finish in 7th and last position beaten approximately 26 metres

There is no way he would have got that suspension if his horse had not faded. Even if you accept that he must take the sit behind the leader you would think that he could have argued that the way his horse was pulling it was a big ask or that he feared that it may not settle and could choke down

ps Anybody know what the Adjourned Inquiry is about for Egodan's win at Melton last night?

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX051116&ms=vic#MXM05111604

Messenger
11-08-2016, 02:37 AM
The adjourned Egodan inquiry is only about whip use

The interesting race in the stewards report was Josh Aiken getting 6 weeks.
I think he just made a split second decision to try a cute Gavin Lang type drive and it came unstuck

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=MX051116&fromstate=vic

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=MX051116&ms=vic#MXM05111609

thepacingman
11-08-2016, 11:04 AM
The interesting race in the stewards report was Josh Aiken getting 6 weeks.
I think he just made a split second decision to try a cute Gavin Lang type drive and it came unstuck

A well said and very true comment that.

But young Aiken still has a fair way to go to match Lang's effort the night he drove Lombo Skyrider at Harold Park in a Derby heat all them years ago. It staggers me how he only got 12 weeks, should have been much longer. To this day it still counts as the worst drive I've ever seen. And no I'm not talking here through my pocket.

Just a pity there's no replay available anywhere. It truly needs to be seen to be believed.

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=HQ100502&ms=nsw

Diablo
12-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Last race at Menangle last night. Bad Habbott being declared a non runner. Why? I'm totally baffled by this one.

Messenger
12-04-2016, 02:23 PM
We await the stewards report Greg
Having now watched it, I can only wonder whether the starter missed something that caused BH to have to sprint to make the gate

Sofoulis
12-05-2016, 08:34 PM
The failure of the policy is evidenced by the following horse:

1 October: draws 1, ambles out of the gate, 3 pegs
8 october: draws 1, ambles out of the gate, 3 pegs
15 October: draws 1, ambles out of the gate, ends up four fence, runs last (they do go sub 1.50)

22 October: draws 9, no change of tactics, hums out in 26.0, holds out the favourite, runs a record first half (53.6) for mares (I believe) and gets beat only 4metres, inquiry open but adjourned

19 November: draws 10, change of tactics: less aggressive, restrained and finishes 10th (they do go sub 1.51)
26 November: draws 2nd row, no change of tactics, held up for a run late and runs 8th

[perhaps the trainer/driver doesn't want to drive her out hard from Gate 1... next race is 3 December and she has drawn Gate 1, no change of tactics announced, so expect she will amble out of the gate like she has previously done from the gate, or like the latest announced tactics for her]

3 December: draws 1, no change of tactics, hums out to run 47.4 lead time (2300m), holds out the favourite, gets beat 23.4m, inquiry opened but adjourned...

(yes: the favourite posted in both races were trained/driven by the Trittons // no: i have no financial interest in the horses or in the races)

Either police it properly or get rid of it...

aussiebreno
12-05-2016, 08:52 PM
The failure of the policy is evidenced by the following horse:

1 October: draws 1, ambles out of the gate, 3 pegs
8 october: draws 1, ambles out of the gate, 3 pegs
15 October: draws 1, ambles out of the gate, ends up four fence, runs last (they do go sub 1.50)

22 October: draws 9, no change of tactics, hums out in 26.0, holds out the favourite, runs a record first half (53.6) for mares (I believe) and gets beat only 4metres, inquiry open but adjourned

19 November: draws 10, change of tactics: less aggressive, restrained and finishes 10th (they do go sub 1.51)
26 November: draws 2nd row, no change of tactics, held up for a run late and runs 8th

[perhaps the trainer/driver doesn't want to drive her out hard from Gate 1... next race is 3 December and she has drawn Gate 1, no change of tactics announced, so expect she will amble out of the gate like she has previously done from the gate, or like the latest announced tactics for her]

3 December: draws 1, no change of tactics, hums out to run 47.4 lead time (2300m), holds out the favourite, gets beat 23.4m, inquiry opened but adjourned...

(yes: the favourite posted in both races were trained/driven by the Trittons // no: i have no financial interest in the horses or in the races)

Either police it properly or get rid of it...

Wouldn't QDT and inquiry adjourned on Oct 22 and Dec 3 be policing it?

Although it shouldn't need to be policed because it shouldn't be a rule.

Sofoulis
12-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Proper policing would also act as a deterrent... this is clearly not the case... clearly there was an issue on the 22nd of October - no ramifications apparent, so just push the "repeat" button and the merry-go-round continues...

Whilst it is a rule: onus is on trainers to comply and the stewards to enforce compliance.

aussiebreno
12-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Nothing about Clancys Fobwatch improved performance in the stewards report?

I don't know the answers but 1.52 over 2300 winning by near on 20metres doesn't get a QIP?

Messenger
12-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Last race at Menangle last night. Bad Habbott being declared a non runner. Why? I'm totally baffled by this one.

"The all-clear for this race was delayed to permit Stewards to review the start and, in particular, to examine whether BAD HABBOTT NZ was afforded a fair opportunity to make its position at the start. After reviewing the official vision and noting the evidence of the Stewards it was determined that when the mobile gate had commenced to move prior to BAD HABBOTT NZ facing the mobile barrier as prescribed by Rule 128(3) and declared that horse a non-runner."

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=PC031216

Diablo
12-19-2016, 02:26 PM
A prominent Menangle based Trainer contacted Stewards prior to fields being declared last week and informed them that their nominated horse had pulled up lame after trackwork and requested it not be drawn to run. The reply was, "Bad luck, you're getting a run". Trainer then advised that the horse will be scratched, which it was. This prevented another nominated runner from gaining a run. Ineptness or arrogance on the Stewards behalf?

Messenger
12-19-2016, 05:08 PM
Or are their hands tied?

trish
02-23-2017, 02:36 PM
M Purdon the Trainer/Driver of ULTIMATE MACHETE NZ explained that he had been disappointed in the performance. He stated that the horse had been in Australia about eight days and had trialled prior to leaving New Zealand. M Purdon added that despite the record time he felt that ULTIMATE MACHETE NZ should have performed better and intended to have blood tests done on Monday. He undertook to advise HRNSW Stewards of these results. ULTIMATE MACHETE NZ was examined by the Veterinary Surgeon who reported no apparent abnormalities.

Should the results of the blood test be given to the punting public so they can decide if they want to have a bet on this horse or not???? or are these results of the blood test available somewhere on HRNSW site???

Anyone know???

Messenger
02-23-2017, 03:22 PM
You may find it eventually in something like Stewards Supplementary Reports which can be found under Stewards Wrap which can be found under News Room eg.

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=32577

I pushed hard for this as I found follow up inquiries attached to any old meeting impossible to follow but what you are after is unlikely to appear in such a wrap until too late but we can hope Trish

trish
02-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Well done Kevin, that's great.

aussiebreno
02-23-2017, 08:29 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=32670

trish
02-23-2017, 08:33 PM

Well how good is that.........thanks Brendan.

teecee
02-24-2017, 04:08 PM

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=32684
http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=32685

trish
02-25-2017, 11:39 AM
http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=32692

aussiebreno
02-25-2017, 12:28 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=32692

Which gives Tact Hayleys Delight a run and on the back of likely early leader Frith. Been a long time since Tact Hayleys Delight settled in the front half of the field. Last Gp1 winner I believe was Arden Rooney in Hunter Cup. Could be the best chance since. If not the $15 the place is still overs.

arlington
02-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Which gives Tact Hayleys Delight a run and on the back of likely early leader Frith. Been a long time since Tact Hayleys Delight settled in the front half of the field. Last Gp1 winner I believe was Arden Rooney in Hunter Cup. Could be the best chance since. If not the $15 the place is still overs.

Have you had a bet yet Breno?

"The reserves to be placed in the barrier positions of the withdrawn horses in order of withdrawal".

aussiebreno
02-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Have you had a bet yet Breno?

"The reserves to be placed in the barrier positions of the withdrawn horses in order of withdrawal".
Oh, crap.

Edit: Cash out feature on bet365 is handy.

Fan of Jate
02-26-2017, 12:22 AM
Teecee, Have Faith in Me's form has not been too shabby since he had those hock injections -2 -2nds and a win. Obviously not racing at his magnificent best though

Be interesting to see how he goes in the future after the stewards disclosed that he had hock and knee problems. My interest is also in the injections and whether they are worth it or not.

Messenger
06-12-2017, 06:38 PM
I will be interested to see what the Stewards make of R3 at Hamilton today
It seemed like Matthew Craven driving Three Wise Machs torched the odds on fav Tell The Future
with his cousin Jason Lee coming over the top of them to win on Rocking Tess

It is interesting to note that the same 3 horses competed in a race at Horsham 12 days ago.
Apart from a different winner, pretty much the same thing happened with TTFuture leading and 3WM in the Death.
At Horsham they ran a 28.6 Q3 and despite having the sit on TTF's back Rocking Tess could not get past her and they finished 3rd and 4th
The driver of 3WMachs who finished 7th (Chris Svanosio on this occasion) was questioned about the performance of the horse and stated:

"Three Wise Machs was forced to race outside the leader without cover which the mare was not suited to and then Three Wise Machs raced keenly during the middle stages"

Today Matt Craven goes to the death again but this time eyeballs Tells The Future all the way and cranks up Q3 to 28.1 and sets it up for a swooper - Rocking Tess had the 1x2 but after that Q3 the field opened up a bit and she was able to get on the Odds on Faves back before the home str and prove too strong along the Sprint Lane this time

We have a QDT for Three Wise Machs - will that be it?

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=HM120617&ms=vic#HMC12061704

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?rc=HSC31051705&ms=VIC#HSC31051705

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=HS310517

Messenger
06-17-2017, 01:09 AM
http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=HM120617

Three Wise Machs raced outside the leader throughout and raced wheel to wheel with the leader, Tell The Future from the 1000m before finishing in 4th place beaten 13m. Driver Matthew Craven and trainer representative Rebecca East (Three Wise Machs) were questioned regarding the tactics adopted on this mare. Mr Craven explained that he unsuccessfully contested the lead during the early stages and was then obliged to race outside the leader. He added that he raced wheel to wheel with Tell The Future from the 1000m because Three Wise Machs was travelling comfortably compared to Tell The Future which was being placed under some pressure by is driver. Mr Craven added that in his experience when driving Three Wise Machs, the mare is one paced and not able to sprint quickly. He future stated that the mare had a tendency to race inconsistently and considered todays performance an improvement from its most recent form. Ms East confirmed the comments of Mr Craven.

http://www.harness.org.au/stewards-reports-detail.cfm?mc=HM120617

3 different stewards so I guess they would say they did not know that this testimony is totally at odds with what the stewards were told the week before! (see emboldened quote in the above post)

Beltane
06-17-2017, 02:39 AM
Only in Queensland:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/superracing/qld-racing/harness-racing-driver-cops-threemonth-suspension-for-pig-prank/news-story/a70d97c110d9c332909217b1d9749eba

Toohard
06-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Only in Queensland:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/superracing/qld-racing/harness-racing-driver-cops-threemonth-suspension-for-pig-prank/news-story/a70d97c110d9c332909217b1d9749eba

"Integrity Commissioner Ross Barnett vigorously defended the sentence on Friday and said he expected QRIC staff to be treated with a high level of respect”.

Even the one's stood down because of 'misconduct'?

3 months for taking the piss? Bit harsh.

broncobrad
06-21-2017, 11:04 AM
Unless there is a bit of 'history' between these two in the stewards room that we on the sidelines are unaware of, then this is a pathetic response by the stewards.

How would this person have fared on one of those old Dean Martin Roasts back in the 70's? Every personality on those shows copped it sideways from their contemporaries and they took it in their stride...not to heart. It was a fundraising event for goodness sake.

Three months a bit harsh Toohard? Queensland harness racing has lost it's way. Very sad to see.

Messenger
06-22-2017, 04:01 AM
Three Wise Machs has certainly been the bane of Tell The Future.
Three times in a row Three Wise Machs has been involved in the defeat of Tell The Future and tonight he did the job himself

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=AR210617&ms=vic#ARC21061704

ps I received a most comprehensive explanation from Chairman of Stewards Nick Murray explaining the stewards take on the two previous contests

Showgrounds
06-22-2017, 10:52 PM
NSW openly publicizes its integrity initiatives. That said, I am struggling to understand why no announcement has been made about the scratching of Lynnsanity earlier this week for Sunday's 2yo Breeders Challenge colts and geldings final. Without doing the groundwork for everybody else take a look at the field, note the scratching of the polemarker (#1) at the inclusion of the first emergency (#7). Look further at the trainers, ownership and form of the two. Note the favourite, which would have come out of barrier 6 before the scratching, now comes out of 7.

Now, I am not alluding to any mischief because HRNSW is at the forefront or integrity. We have seen this demonstrated by the allocation of security guards to stables in days leading up to the Miracle Mile and other major races. But I do find it odd that Lynnsanity has been scratched so early in the week after drawing the pole in a $125k race.

It just needs a simple statement from the stewards - there is no mention in the stewards report after the semi-finals - to clarify the murky waters. Or a photo of a horses leg that may have fallen off!

Messenger
06-28-2017, 04:46 PM
I received an email from Graham Loch, Chairman of Stewards NSW, regarding Trevor's post above
I have taken the following snip as Outlook would not let me copy and paste it or save to Evernote (which is the usual way around this problem)

Edit: Typing time as that shot is a bit small

"I advise that in regards to Group 1 races in NSW horses might only we withdrawn with express permission of the Stewards. I would have thought that should extinguish any thoughts as to impropriety?

I can advise that LYNNSANITY was withdrawn for quite legitimate reasons which had been fully investigated by HRNSW Stewards. I can also advise that LYNNSANIY sufferd a serious infection which initially was diagnosed as having "stranges" like symptoms but was eventually cleared of same following the analysis of culture material. The infection caused LYNNSANITY to receive treatment which prevented it from taking its place in the race. In this regards Trainer Mr Tritton was found to have fully discharged his responsibilities regarding the reporting of a notifiable disease.

Whilst I understand the inference provided by the Contributor, I would ask that a thought be spared for the Owners of LYNNSANITY who have endured an experience they would no doubt have preferred not to have had"

Messenger
07-16-2017, 06:18 PM
NSW has a new Chairman of Stewards

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/HRNSW-Media-Release-Chairman-of-Stewards-appointed

Messenger
07-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Catching up on the weekend racing and thought I would watch to see how a $1.10 fav got beaten in R10 at Cranbourne on Saturday night (on its merits), but found the drive by Ray Mathews on 20/1 shot Jack William more interesting. I know they weren't running time but I don't know how he did not get a QDT - he did not seem to remember that he was driving a horse that had had 12 starts for 0 wins

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=CR150717&ms=vic#CRC15071706

arlington
07-17-2017, 07:46 PM
Catching up on the weekend racing and thought I would watch to see how a $1.10 fav got beaten in R10 at Cranbourne on Saturday night (on its merits), but found the drive by Ray Mathews on 20/1 shot Jack William more interesting. I know they weren't running time but I don't know how he did not get a QDT - he did not seem to remember that he was driving a horse that had had 12 starts for 0 wins

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=CR150717&ms=vic#CRC15071706

Which part/s of the race Kev?

Messenger
07-17-2017, 10:23 PM
After contesting the lead, he got off the fence but declined to take a sit choosing to keep the death
I wonder if he had surrendered the lead easily to the fav whether the fav would have kept the lead and thus JW would have had a nice sit
The horse he refused the death, did die but he would have been good for a sit for a bit of a breather.
We are only talking about JW getting 3rd instead of 4th anyway - just my opinion of course but it did not strike me as a great drive
He could be a good thing if he finds a suitable race next start

arlington
07-19-2017, 01:38 AM
I agree Kev, a suitable race next time, one to look out for.
This wasn't his race with the if's and wonder's. No QDT for me.
Just my opinion, R Mathews didn't have the value of hindsight at the time. The odds on pop handing up in an average lead time after getting the lead fairly easily?
Then R Mathews with the option of handing up the death to a lesser runner after slow sectionals whilst contemplating the thought of having to make a three wide run around Cranbourne's top bend later?
I'fs and wonder's...that's racing.

Was Todd's a great drive on Tiger Tara?

Messenger
07-19-2017, 01:48 AM
You're right, I am being a bit of a mug armchair driver LOL

aussiebreno
07-19-2017, 10:21 AM
I agree Kev, a suitable race next time, one to look out for.
This wasn't his race with the if's and wonder's. No QDT for me.
Just my opinion, R Mathews didn't have the value of hindsight at the time. The odds on pop handing up in an average lead time after getting the lead fairly easily?
Then R Mathews with the option of handing up the death to a lesser runner after slow sectionals whilst contemplating the thought of having to make a three wide run around Cranbourne's top bend later?
I'fs and wonder's...that's racing.

Was Todd's a great drive on Tiger Tara?
A drive like that would have got Tiger Tara over the line in most races he has been in over the past 6 months. I think Todd will learn from that drive though leading into races like the Interdominion.

Messenger
07-27-2017, 02:13 AM
It must be compulsory for stewards to QIP when a longshot gets up
Honey Please won her first race at Ballarat tonight and received a QIP
She is a 2yo trotter, she has only been racing THIS MONTH and this was her 4th start.
She only rated 2.09. I hope they answered "she is just learning the caper"

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=BA260717&ms=vic#BAC26071710

trish
07-27-2017, 09:16 PM
R SANDERS

A/ CHIEF STEWARD in Qld. Prob a bit late but I didn't know.

Danno
07-27-2017, 11:45 PM
Dear oh Dear, I honestly thought a completely different direction might have worked better, block eye winkers are best suited to horses as well!

People who are gullible enough to believe the "line" they are fed are usually best suited to roles as followers rather than leaders! but try telling them that! ha ha ha

Messenger
08-01-2017, 01:48 AM
The track must have been fast at Yarra Valley today - although that does not really explain how a 2R0 race could be the quickest of the day (including a C4-6)
How did Miss Victoria run that time after having to work for the lead from the outside of the mobile
This race warranted a QIP. She went 1.56.1 which has to be up there with the best of 2yo times here.
The closest she has come to going that fast would have been 2 starts back when beaten by 51.7m when they went 1.54.8 at Melton
She has been freshened up since then but her first run back she had a cushy run and was beaten 15.7m when they rated 2.05

The only thing that may partly explain the improvement is that the 3rd and 4th horses have also grown another leg
They must have known she had improved as she was $70 at Kilmore when the fav was $3.30 while today she was $11.50 when the fav was $1.40 (first starter who ran 2nd)

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=YG310717&ms=vic#YGC31071707

I was undecided whether to put this post here or in the Speed Explosion thread - it seemed to me that it belonged here after my post 132 and I suppose they can say she is learning the caper BUT it sure was some improvement

Fan of Jate
08-01-2017, 10:51 AM
It is a massive way to get your first win after a dozen starts. The C1 was quicker Kev by a hair, but based on that time look out if Miss Victoria starts to improve as 2&3 y/o' normally do.

Toohard
08-01-2017, 11:09 AM
The track must have been fast at Yarra Valley today - although that does not really explain how a 2R0 race could be the quickest of the day (including a C4-6)
How did Miss Victoria run that time after having to work for the lead from the outside of the mobile
This race warranted a QIP. She went 1.56.1 which has to be up there with the best of 2yo times here.
The closest she has come to going that fast would have been 2 starts back when beaten by 51.7m when they went 1.54.8 at Melton
She has been freshened up since then but her first run back she had a cushy run and was beaten 15.7m when they rated 2.05

The only thing that may partly explain the improvement is that the 3rd and 4th horses have also grown another leg
They must have known she had improved as she was $70 at Kilmore when the fav was $3.30 while today she was $11.50 when the fav was $1.40 (first starter who ran 2nd)

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=YG310717&ms=vic#YGC31071707

I was undecided whether to put this post here or in the Speed Explosion thread - it seemed to me that it belonged here after my post 132 and I suppose they can say she is learning the caper BUT it sure was some improvement

Trial super last week at Melton Kev. See trial 2 results. Then while you're looking, check Trial 6 result. http://www.harness.org.au/trial-results-full.cfm?trialId=17360

Messenger
08-01-2017, 12:16 PM
Thanks Pat and Paul, the only thing with that trial win Paul is the time - sure it is a trial but unlike Trial 6 it is not within cooee of what she ran yesterday and Melton is a faster track but maybe she had plenty in reserve, incredible what a few weeks rest did for her

Do stewards consider trial wins when considering QIP's - if they did, then all trial results would have to go in the form guide to keep the public in the loop

aussiebreno
08-01-2017, 01:39 PM
then all trial results would have to go in the form guide to keep the public in the loop

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BATG3J/spoon-feeding-7-month-old-baby-girl-being-spoon-fed-BATG3J.jpg

Messenger
08-01-2017, 01:50 PM
I know you like the advantage of punters having to do their own homework Brenno but let's say a horse does not receive a QIP because it trialled super well, the general public are not going to know this - hence the reinforcement of the 'Red Hots', an image we must eradicate.

I know you will say that only serious followers read the stewards summary but I would say that QIP should be based on exposed form and if trials are not 'clearly' exposed then a QIP should be given - and then the trial will be used as explanation.

If we are to compete with the gallops, I cannot see you having your 'homework advantage' for long as good free form guides for the gallops such as Racing.com and Racenet all list trial performances

arlington
08-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Thanks Pat and Paul, the only thing with that trial win Paul is the time - sure it is a trial but unlike Trial 6 it is not within cooee of what she ran yesterday and Melton is a faster track but maybe she had plenty in reserve, incredible what a few weeks rest did for her

Do stewards consider trial wins when considering QIP's - if they did, then all trial results would have to go in the form guide to keep the public in the loop

Nothing like a trial win to boost a horse's confidence, might be just me but I wouldn't consider a 2.00 min trial and 57 last half as "a few weeks rest".

The galloping stewards read through the trial form before each race and then after a longish shot wins? Or is it just they don't QIP as much?

As for all trial results going in the form guide, that's lazy. I take note of what you say Kev in #140 but I'm a bit in Brenno's court.
If you notice a horse hasn't raced for a bit don't most people look to the trial results? Especially the videos. If you can decipher a form guide you can click on a video replay.
What about private trials or even quiet trial runs?

Do the gallopers publish jump outs Kev? Certainly not private jump outs. They still don't need a public trial before they have a start(?). And not sure of the greyhounds and their unexplained improvements.

Rather than toil through an extensive form guide we could just have a waiver embossed across the meeting saying CHECK THE TRIALS

As for the red hots image, sometimes I think extensive QIP's and QDT's add to that image rather than help eradicate it.

Messenger
08-01-2017, 05:53 PM
'Nothing like a trial win to boost a horse's confidence, might be just me but I wouldn't consider a 2.00 min trial and 57 last half as "a few weeks rest".'

The few weeks rest I was referring to Wayne, was between May 20 and July 13 - her 3rd last and 2nd last starts. A nice little freshen up

Toohard
08-01-2017, 08:18 PM

Yes but they aren't going flat out at the trials. Usually walk and run. Times??? ... mmmmm times are for clocks. Trials are good to watch because you can sometimes see a horse improve. Might not mean it wins trial and goes 1.52 but if you watch you can see the ones that improve. I know a horse that can reel off 29 quarters like 'clockwork'. That's a 1.56 mile rate. Win you plenty? Nope...unless it gets chance to do that in a race which isn't going to happen very often. Then you get comments "It went 1.56 at trails but couldn't win when they went 1.59". No...coz they went 31 31 29 28 and horse was back in field and can't go any quicker than 29. And then people jump up and down when it does get the chance to do that and wins.

It's all there for punters if they want to look. Got form guide, trial results, videos, times in formguide, etc. Just need to look. On top of that they get 'Change of tactics'. It's all there and it's all free (for trots anyway). More info than ever before and still people complain. Keep public in loop?? Me thinks public is lazy..

QIP ??? For a 2yo still learning? That horse was impressive the other day, not by the time it went overall but by the way it went and the way it beat the rest.... and it came out and won accordingly.

Messenger
08-01-2017, 09:33 PM
Yes but they aren't going flat out at the trials. Usually walk and run. Times??? ... mmmmm times are for clocks. Trials are good to watch because you can sometimes see a horse improve. Might not mean it wins trial and goes 1.52 but if you watch you can see the ones that improve. I know a horse that can reel off 29 quarters like 'clockwork'. That's a 1.56 mile rate. Win you plenty? Nope...unless it gets chance to do that in a race which isn't going to happen very often. Then you get comments "It went 1.56 at trails but couldn't win when they went 1.59". No...coz they went 31 31 29 28 and horse was back in field and can't go any quicker than 29. And then people jump up and down when it does get the chance to do that and wins.

It's all there for punters if they want to look. Got form guide, trial results, videos, times in formguide, etc. Just need to look. On top of that they get 'Change of tactics'. It's all there and it's all free (for trots anyway). More info than ever before and still people complain. Keep public in loop?? Me thinks public is lazy..

QIP ??? For a 2yo still learning? That horse was impressive the other day, not by the time it went overall but by the way it went and the way it beat the rest.... and it came out and won accordingly.

I understand trials Paul and I did say "sure it is a trial but unlike Trial 6 it is not within cooee of what she ran yesterday and Melton is a faster track but maybe she had plenty in reserve"

As far as the public getting lazy, I really think it comes down to how passionate/dedicated you want to be - I could be a good punter again but I have not got the passion to put in the time it requires
As much as anything I cannot get to many meets and Sky 1 does nothing for me. More chance that I could get serious about the gallops as watching 528 and 529 are easy to watch (Sort of sad for a harness fan to be saying that)

I more or less agree about no QIP for a 2yo still learning (see post 132).
I suppose she has only improved < 3secs on her previous best MR albeit on a slower track
It was a win full of merit as she set up the fast time for everyone and was entitled to get run over

Messenger
08-04-2017, 10:22 PM
R SANDERS

A/ CHIEF STEWARD in Qld. Prob a bit late but I didn't know.

Rumour going around that he no longer wants the job. Only a rumour and we wait and see

Is 'Racing Queensland' really where we are supposed to get QLD harness news? (It is where HRA takes you when you click on QLD under States)
The first story they have under What Is Happening Now is the Latest Ranking for Qbred Triad finals - the finals were run weeks ago

arlington
08-05-2017, 02:51 AM
Rumour going around that he no longer wants the job. Only a rumour and we wait and see

His appointment was for one month starting July 15 as Acting Chief Steward.

May only be a coincidence but the applications for Vic General Manager Integrity closed 25 July.

Messenger
08-09-2017, 03:32 AM
We had another massive 2yo turnaround yesterday without any QIP
No doubt he trialled well and of course he has had a change of stable
but in less than a month Amanda Turnbull has turned You Ninety Two from

Maryborough July 6, 5th beaten 11m at $158
Kilmore July 13, 9th beaten 47m at odds of $76 to

Charlton Aug 7, wins by 23m at odds of $1.40

That is the trots for you

arlington
08-09-2017, 12:34 PM
We had another massive 2yo turnaround yesterday without any QIP
No doubt he trialled well and of course he has had a change of stable
but in less than a month Amanda Turnbull has turned You Ninety Two from

Maryborough July 6, 5th beaten 11m at $158
Kilmore July 13, 9th beaten 47m at odds of $76 to

Charlton Aug 7, wins by 23m at odds of $1.40

That is the trots for you

Casting aspersions Kev.http://www.harnessracingforum.com/images/icons/icon9.png

Not that l listened in or looked at, but I doubt the form analysts/tipsters on the radio or in other media would have missed this guy. As you say, a terrific public trial 27th July. Not a private jump out Weiry might have had way down at Warrnambool.

aussiebreno
08-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Casting aspersions Kev.http://www.harnessracingforum.com/images/icons/icon9.png

Not that l listened in or looked at, but I doubt the form analysts/tipsters on the radio or in other media would have missed this guy. As you say, a terrific public trial 27th July. Not a private jump out Weiry might have had way down at Warrnambool.
If only they did a bold heading at the top of the form guide stating the change in feed, the times in trackwork, the red blood cell count, the resting heart rate and how many hours sleep the horse got the night before hand and its hydration/electrolyte levels I would have backed the winner.

arlington
08-09-2017, 01:29 PM
If only they did a bold heading at the top of the form guide stating the change in feed, the times in trackwork, the red blood cell count, the resting heart rate and how many hours sleep the horse got the night before hand and its hydration/electrolyte levels I would have backed the winner.

Brenoooo we all know you're the reason for the $1.40 :D

Messenger
08-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Enough cheek you guys.
They probably cannot do a QIP as that was the horses first performance for the stable but when a horse goes from being a $158 pop to $1.40 in 4 weeks - you have to marvel at the inconsistencies of our game

Where was this July 27 trial Wayne - I cannot find any trials for that day

arlington
08-11-2017, 01:22 AM
Enough cheek you guys.
They probably cannot do a QIP as that was the horses first performance for the stable but when a horse goes from being a $158 pop to $1.40 in 4 weeks - you have to marvel at the inconsistencies of our game

Where was this July 27 trial Wayne - I cannot find any trials for that day

A bit of poetic licence there Kev, Was he $158 at his last start? Dropping in class at Charlton?
Inconsistencies, as you refer to it, never happen in the gallops?

Obviously the owner, who was the trainer, must have known the horse had ability. Not the first time a horse has been sent to a bigger stable, gallops or trots, to get the best out of him/her even if it's only to access higher quality training partners.

A true inconsistency would be, which I'd imagine the stewards would QPP, was if he performed poorly at his next start.

Shepparton. Trial 1. Via the HRV website Trial replays http://www.hrv.org.au/racing/trial-replays/ and was also on http://www.sheppartonhrc.com.au/ in that week.

Messenger
08-11-2017, 01:41 AM
I am sorry about the licence taken but originally I did state $158 to $76 to $1.40

I still cannot find that trial Wayne - there is no trials listed for July 26 and neither of those links give me a You Ninety Two trial

Which one of these are you referring to

http://www.harness.org.au/results/index.cfm?event=trialsIndex&state=vic&month=7&year=2017&search1=Submit

arlington
08-11-2017, 12:30 PM
As posted http://www.hrv.org.au/racing/trial-replays/ (http://www.hrv.org.au/racing/trial-replays/) - Shepparton. May need to now click Uploads or View all as July 27 trials won't be current.
Similarly, the other link, Shepparton Harness Club site http://www.sheppartonhrc.com.au/ (http://www.sheppartonhrc.com.au/) would have been current, still listed, before last night's trials.

As to why the results aren't on http://www.harness.org.au/results/in...search1=Submit (http://www.harness.org.au/results/index.cfm?event=trialsIndex&state=vic&month=7&year=2017&search1=Submit) they normally are, as shown. Perhaps one of the many unheralded volunteers who keep the show on the road, track record data, trials etc. was absent. May not necessarily be the same person who videos and uploads to youtube enters the results on the HRA site.

Apologies for what might look like ignorance as I hadn't accessed the trial via that page before now. I tend to go to replays so you can see how a trial was run, and the opportunity to clock sectionals rather than just the mile and half mile results.

Have just looked at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5Zjcksa48 , the trial, via the HRV Trial Replays page. Comparing the number of views of trials - seems like quite a few didn't miss him, may have something to do with the horse's short price.

Messenger
08-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Thanks for going to all that trouble Wayne. No wonder he started that short - they certainly didn't try to keep his improvement a secret

Messenger
08-14-2017, 03:22 AM
You Ninety Two going around again today at Yarra Valley

https://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm?mc=YG140817&fromstate=vic#2

Messenger
08-23-2017, 12:58 AM
Darrel Graham suspended for 4 weeks for moving his $89 drive from the 4 posn to the 5 posn

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=34554

Were they concerned that it was to help one of his other runners (the eventual winner) take the 4 posn?

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=AP150817&ms=qld#APC15081704

Messenger
08-24-2017, 12:59 AM
The change of tactics rule would seem to have stitched up the $1.40 favourite in R4 at Geelong tonight
The pole marker was supposed to be driven 'more aggressively' and so the favourite (the only horse on the 2nd line) followed it out - no doubt expecting to be leader's back BUT the polemarker never showed any interest in contesting the lead.
The QDT and INQADJ may reveal more

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=GE230817&ms=vic#GEC23081702

I wonder whether the QDT for Jason Lee in R5 relates to why did he took an extra second to pull 3W after he finally had room, knowing that the death horse had been giving ground for some time

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-results.cfm?mc=GE230817&ms=vic#GEC23081701

Messenger
09-12-2017, 10:01 PM
This could have gone in Substances but Stewards Reports will do

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=34569

So Nathan Turnbull has pleaded guilty to presenting a horse with Cocaine in its system - benzoylecgonine (BE) and ecgonine methyl ester (EME) are the 2 major urinary metabolites of Cocaine

and yet 3 weeks later there is still no decision on penalty?!

Messenger
09-13-2017, 10:24 PM
Boris Devcic had his 9mths reduced to 4mths by VCAT

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=34774

Diablo
09-19-2017, 01:46 AM
Could someone with a bit more knowledge than me, explain how Stewards swallowed a BS explanation from Grant Dixon in relation to his driving tactics on Majestic Mach in race 3 on 9/9/17 especially after the stablemate, Max Richter, was backed from $6 into $2.50? Surely, a Trainer/Driver that has been around as long as him would have felt in the prelim that his horse may have been a bit off. After hearing about many of the rorts and collusions that have been reported and currently under investigation it is little wonder that Qld Harness Industry has little appeal to most around the country that enjoy the sport. For me, if they shut the sport down in Qld it will be a Godsend. There seem to be a few issues in most States but Qld is the worst.

Messenger
09-19-2017, 02:46 AM
Greg, I agree that it looked bad for a 2nd favourite (and stablemate of the heavily supported favourite) to drop in like that.

Multi runners from the same stable is always a worry for our code as positioning is so regimented compared to the gallops (where IMO there is less opportunity for team riding).

In this case if they preferred their other runner to win, then his stablemate was never going to beat him. If MM stays in the death but hangs back like he was, he was 99% certain to get the 1x1 from the horse that made a move shortly after but then if you didn't want to win you wait to be pocketed by the 3w train.

Dropping to the fence looks really suspect - some might think it makes a certainty that you will not win. If the stewards put themselves in the shoes of a punter, are they going to be happy seeing that move if they had their money on MM . I believe the onus is on the stewards to expect every driver to give their horse the best possible chance and I am surprised that they accepted GD's explanation so readily - did they consider it improved MM's chance of winning? I wonder whether they even asked GD if that was his intention - improve the horse's chance of winning.

The fact that he was stood down for 7 days after his previous race lends some weight to the driver's explanation - was there any notification that MM would be driven conservatively (not sure there is such a thing, now I think it is either further forward or further back)

Perception is everything and that move did not look good - thus the QDT and yet it meant nothing for the driver did little more than disagree with them. Try that next time the police pull you over

Here is a link to the race folks

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=AP090917#APC09091710

Messenger
09-21-2017, 11:19 PM
This could have gone in Substances but Stewards Reports will do

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=34569

So Nathan Turnbull has pleaded guilty to presenting a horse with Cocaine in its system - benzoylecgonine (BE) and ecgonine methyl ester (EME) are the 2 major urinary metabolites of Cocaine

and yet 3 weeks later there is still no decision on penalty?!

30 months

https://www.harness.org.au/media-room/news-article/?news_id=34867

Messenger
10-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Part of Barton Cockburn's lawyer's plea for clemency was based around:

He said a lifetime of long-term ban from the sport was very likely for his client, who was remorseful and did not deserve jail.

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Harness-racing-man-guilty-of-match-fixing

His lawyer managed to get him a mere $5k fine with no conviction using this defence

It is now up to the Stewards to make the lifetime ban a reality

Fan of Jate
10-04-2017, 07:51 PM
We await the penalty with much interest. I am tipping 10yrs but my tipping is shite. Remind me to use that lawyer if I ever commit a crime.

Messenger
10-04-2017, 11:16 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/media-room/news-article/?news_id=34956

2 months for Rodney Petroff for risking the welfare of his horse to play bully boy with Christopher Shinn, whom he was not happy with

If you let the video run after the finish line you will see the start of this incident

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX150917#MXM15091706

Danno
10-05-2017, 12:54 PM
http://www.harness.org.au/media-room/news-article/?news_id=34956

2 months for Rodney Petroff for risking the welfare of his horse to play bully boy with Christopher Shinn, whom he was not happy with

If you let the video run after the finish line you will see the start of this incident

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=MX150917#MXM15091706

Little wonder why Petroff was annoyed Kev, Shinn took his legs 3 or 4 times and I hazard to guess unwittingly in the last 600 metres, Shinn's horse was all over the place. How much for Shinn in risking the welfare of Petroffs horse? Two weeks? for taking his legs multiple times in the last 600?? I reckon the penalties are around the wrong way.

Messenger
10-05-2017, 03:26 PM
I understood his annoyance Dan but he just can't go doing that with his horse - maybe they both should have got 2 months

Danno
10-05-2017, 10:42 PM
I understood his annoyance Dan but he just can't go doing that with his horse - maybe they both should have got 2 months

Penalties did not fit the crimes Kev, not even close, nobody gets it right 100% of the time but that was a glaring example of why many have lost faith in the ability of the stewards to get it right.......please don't get me wrong, I understand their role is very difficult, but FFS it appears they tried hard to get that one wrong...blind Freddy stuff mate.

Messenger
10-05-2017, 11:59 PM
I can be blind Dan and unlike your good self have zero experience but I do not think he gave them many outs by deliberately driving his horse into another - maybe half the penalty suspended? But a second offence would be much greater I think

trish
10-06-2017, 06:36 PM
http://www.harnessmediacentre.com.au/news/1865/trainer-nathan-carroll---inquiries

Nathan Carroll disqualified for 42 months in total

Messenger
10-06-2017, 10:10 PM
Part of Barton Cockburn's lawyer's plea for clemency was based around:

He said a lifetime of long-term ban from the sport was very likely for his client, who was remorseful and did not deserve jail.

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Harness-racing-man-guilty-of-match-fixing

His lawyer managed to get him a mere $5k fine with no conviction using this defence

It is now up to the Stewards to make the lifetime ban a reality

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/race-fixer-warned-off-for-life-20171006

LIFE

Fan of Jate
10-07-2017, 04:57 PM
That's called .."not mucking around". Good old Australian way of dealing out a decent penalty. Couldnt imagine that he would be able to start up afresh in another state..!!!!!!

trish
10-07-2017, 09:02 PM
That's called .."not mucking around". Good old Australian way of dealing out a decent penalty.

This case aside , we strongly believe that anyone who is found guilty of cheating , be it race fixing , drug doping etc should get LIFE . Black & white . I am sure the industry
would be in a lot better position under those conditions . Why people put up with cheats in this industry is beyond me . We have sold up every one of our horses , stopped mid
preparation solely because of cheats .

Thank God we got out .!!!!

trish
10-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Around Australia here we come & we will never watch a harness race again .

BYE BYE .

Hermione
10-08-2017, 07:43 AM
I read and re-read your post, expecting it to be a copy and paste from somewhere else, oh dear :(

Messenger
10-08-2017, 11:03 PM
Around Australia here we come & we will never watch a harness race again .

BYE BYE .

If the interest returns one day Trish and Mark, we will welcome you back - enjoy your long awaited adventure

allanjg
10-09-2017, 01:44 PM
we (my brother and niece and myself, hanging around like a bad smell) will have a horse ready to race in the next 6 or so weeks (hopefully)and when he has completed his career that will be it for us...proven brood mares in the paddocks will not be joined,money in the kitty to purchase a yearling will not be spent, and no more feed,vets and farrier bills to payed any more.we have had a gut full of big names in the industry being punished with feather dusters for there misgivings while the small timers get the book thrown at them.a prime example the 3 yo at last terang meeting,driver m. thomas fined $200 for whip use and driver alford just as bad had not a word said to him....looks like a nice fishing boat is going to become a reality.

Messenger
10-10-2017, 01:26 AM
Allan, fishermen tell me The Grampians is a great fishing region

allanjg
10-10-2017, 10:11 AM
lovely spot kev,fishing just a nice little extra.

Toohard
10-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Well played again Qld... :) :) :)

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Stewards-spoil-Lana-s-race-day

gutwagon
10-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Paul, I just viewed the link and agree the stewards were too heavy handed in the handling of that incident. Unfortunately the trainer breached the rules, rules that he should be aware of. This is one of the rules that I think is turning young people away from our sport. The stewards should have spoke to the trainer away from his granddaughter and had him explain the situation to her. She should never have been made to feel uncomfortable or responsible for her grandfathers ignorance of the rules.
The QLD stewards obviously need more education about dealing with minors that are accompanied by a guardian .

Danno
10-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Well played again Qld... :) :) :)

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Stewards-spoil-Lana-s-race-day

The rules need changing AND the regulators need to learn some people skills, a thoroughly ridiculous rule that means if my missus feeds the horses she part owns on our private property without a strapper's licence we are both in breach. It is a brain dead rule and any regulator policing it would earn a similar tag, a piece of paper does not provide any skills, so what is the point????? If its about keeping people safe then why rely on a simple useless piece of paper unless you are brain dead? If you are fair dinkum you come up with a simple, personal questionaire and practical assessment and keep a record of those that have successfully undertaken it. FULL STOP.

arlington
10-10-2017, 04:50 PM
If only things could be so simple these days Danno. Unfortunately there are those who will grab a solicitor to find, and use, any legal loophole to get out of a conviction for a plotted infringement of the rules.

The harnesslink article, on face value it does seem like more diplomacy could have been used but I'll reserve any comment until the QRIC transcript comes out.

Danno
10-11-2017, 08:22 AM
If only things could be so simple these days Danno. Unfortunately there are those who will grab a solicitor to find, and use, any legal loophole to get out of a conviction for a plotted infringement of the rules.

The harnesslink article, on face value it does seem like more diplomacy could have been used but I'll reserve any comment until the QRIC transcript comes out.

Wayne things ARE that simple, if you have assessed someone as being safe around the horses and have records to prove it, then that will carry MORE weight when the lawyers roll in than the current situation where someone pays a fee and gets a "licence" to be a strapper without actually being assessed as capable.

Part of the problem is people are making decisions about how to defend themselves in law without actually having much knowledge of how the law works in practical situations. In short, they are operating on "fear" and it's amazing how many followers they get who are also operating on that emotion. Safety in numbers perhaps? or at least a false sense of safety, which is often sufficient for many people.

As for the heavy handed over reach of some regulators.....happens all the time when you give people more responsibility than they are capable of.

arlington
10-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Wayne things ARE that simple, if you have assessed someone as being safe around the horses and have records to prove it, then that will carry MORE weight when the lawyers roll in than the current situation where someone pays a fee and gets a "licence" to be a strapper without actually being assessed as capable.

Part of the problem is people are making decisions about how to defend themselves in law without actually having much knowledge of how the law works in practical situations. In short, they are operating on "fear" and it's amazing how many followers they get who are also operating on that emotion. Safety in numbers perhaps? or at least a false sense of safety, which is often sufficient for many people.

As for the heavy handed over reach of some regulators.....happens all the time when you give people more responsibility than they are capable of.

I wasn't particularly referring to the O/WHS perspective Dan.
Unfortunately it's become a quagmire of health and safety and line of responsibility if a horse comes up with a positive swab.
The fear may well be with the controlling bodies, regulators. The threat of being sued, which, when you look at it, reduces the prize money pool. I'm always fearful of that.

KTQ
10-11-2017, 12:30 PM
It is all absolutely ridiculous and the reason MANY young people are not getting into the sport. The only reason I pay any attention to harness racing is because as a kid, I could fastwork the horses with Dad. He couldn't afford to pay someone to help, and knew if he could get us interested early that the interest would remain. If I had needed to get a licence to drive them, feed them, gear them or lead them back then, there would be NO way I'd be on this forum right now. God, I remember a couple years after I finished pony trots that they enforced vests for pony trot drivers - going along at 15 km p/h is super dangerous everybody - "Mr Dumpling" was a killer! I understand the need now but would have quit driving if I had to buy a vest.

It was bad enough that we weren't allowed in the stable area at GP until we were 14. My brother and I would hang onto the fence closest to where our horse was stabled so we could be somewhat involved and then once he hit 14 and was allowed to go in, I'd occasionally sneak in too hoping the stewards wouldn't see me but what's funny is that if some 11 year old girl was hanging out by herself these days, her parents would be arrested. What are parents supposed to do?

It's just another way of cutting out the little trainers who only have their kids to help and sniffing out the fire from anyone who has a glimpse of interest in the sport making it just too hard and too tedious to get involved. Every time I hang out in the stable area I'm absolutely petrified some steward is going to fine me for giving our horse a pat or doing up a buckle, not being licenced or not wearing a fluorescent vest and hard hat around and and it makes it very, very crap.

gutwagon
10-11-2017, 03:30 PM
It's a sad fact that a "Stablehand Licence" is basically a W/OHS licence, forced upon the industry by government red tape. It has nothing to do with a persons physical or mental capabilities with horses. It is also used by the controlling bodies to enforce rules, giving them the ability to fine and ban people that breach rules or criticize the bodies on social media .
Now that many tracks in Victoria don't charge an admission fee I don't see how they can justify the $99 annual fee. I think they should only be charging what it costs to administer the Licence system. A once only payment would be much fairer. Or absorb the cost themselves .
I think that this licencing system has deterred many young people from our sport and frustrates many owner/breeders. The exact people the industry should be getting on bended knee encouraging to join or stay !

Messenger
10-12-2017, 01:48 AM
I think these 2 may be related

http://harnessnews.com.au/2017/09/owner-devastated-by-fraudulent-trainer/

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room/news-article/?news_id=35040

KTQ
10-12-2017, 06:07 AM
Oh my, that is AWFUL :(

arlington
10-12-2017, 08:37 PM
I haven't heard any young people gripe about the $44 (not $99) under 18 stablehand licence. I think junior pony club annual memberships are over $100.
It may only be my experience, the young people I've spoken with who haven't followed their family/parents into the sport pretty well always bring up the uneven playing field.
Have never heard one of them bring up licensing, let alone $44/year being too much.
How many tracks are free entry? Are all country cup meetings free?

Messenger
10-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Maryborough has just introduced charging, Stawell free - I think many clubs with TAB or pokies find it too difficult to charge, Horsham no longer charges and Hamilton is just a voluntary donation. If Melton, our main track does not charge - people are going to be surprised at having to pay at minor tracks. Is there a charge for the Vic Cup?

Danno
10-13-2017, 08:16 AM
Licencing without some form of assessment is a farce, asking people to pay a fee is equally so, any registered owner is respondent to the rules of the game without having to pay a fee for the bloody right to feed and water their own stock. Asking the parents of kids you are trying to encourage into the game to fork out additional $$ on top of everything else they get slugged for to participate is sending people a message that they are really not wanted.

For legal reasons there should be an assessment, which is both verbal and practical, can be done in about 15 minutes, is recorded and from that day forward the person is a registered stable hand without a fee.

I have no idea why people are so keen to make simple things difficult if they are genuinely trying to foster and facilitate the sport.

gutwagon
10-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Danno, I agree with you 100%.
Messenger, with attendances being so low at country tracks nowadays I think it would cost more to pay someones wage to collect the payments than what would be collected. And expecting an owner to pay to see their horse race is just crazy !

Messenger
10-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Danno, I agree with you 100%.
Messenger, with attendances being so low at country tracks nowadays I think it would cost more to pay someones wage to collect the payments than what would be collected. And expecting an owner to pay to see their horse race is just crazy !

Rick, I always thought that when Horsham and Hamilton had someone on the gate - Maryborough get a bigger crowd and may even have a vol on the gate

Fan of Jate
10-14-2017, 01:17 AM
If you own a horse in WA, it is free entry into any track for two people. Not sure where else that happens.

arlington
10-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Re post #192 Pretty sure there's no charge for any Melton meeting Kev, the pokies thing.

Pat, how do they administer the free entry for two owners in WA? Send out (e)tickets to a designated owner or syndicate manager or to the trainer? Multi member syndicates only get two tickets?

I think, in part, the introduction of the harness/trots card, in Vic, was to reduce admin costs in posting out owners tickets. And like WA, it was only a few tickets.

Even in the case of syndicates, a growth area, is it too much of an extra expense to purchase a trots card? These days purchased with a club membership, starting from, I think, $25 up depending on additional benefits each club offers.
Some might say if it's a 20 member syndicate that's 20 people who have to buy a trots card. But they're not seeing a 20th of their horse race, are they? Hopefully they'd attend other meetings as well and one card covers them for multi 1/20th's.

I don't know, I think the trot card concept is pretty reasonable and fair. If you own a horse/s on your own I think it's not too bad you buy a trot card/club membership along with a 1/20th owner.

Quite possibly, now that the trot cards are administered by the country clubs the decision to charge admittance or not may depend on the volume of trot card/membership sales for that individual club?

As for the O/WHS side of things, I'd hate to be responsible for it. Danno, is it really the administrators of a sport or industry/company that make what should be simple so hard? Isn't it the ambulance chasing lawyers?

In the scenario of the missus/life partner, who is a registered owner, feeding up Danno, quite possibly there could be an annual declaration by a trainer designating her/him for licencing purposes? I realise you have said as an owner you are bound by the rules anyway but I can see a loophole if there's no differentiation of owners.

I don't know if there is any HRV licencing where you don't have to complete an initial OHS program. You would have for your stablehand licence Rick?

If people didn't need to renew annually, in the case of licencing, how do you go several years down the track, particularly in Vic, you end up in VCAT and as an administrator you can't show you've truly asked someone to commit to current rules?

Like I've said before, it's the cheats that will use loopholes that make things so complicated and increase expenses for everyone.

Is it a problem there are two components to a stablehand licence?

Fan of Jate
10-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Wayne,

Any owner of the horse gets a free laminated card sent in the mail (or you can pick up) with your name on it and the season i.e 2012/13, even if their were 6-7 in the ownership syndicate. This entitled you & your partner too free entry to any course and and you could also get into the stables to see your horse or any other horse. Quite a good system, relaxed and made you feel part of it. Of course some bent the rules but generally a good system. Prior to that they had the drinks system where you got several beers at half price after presenting your ownership card, they dont use that system any more much to a few peoples distress. There is also a free weekend newspaper if you are quick enough to get your claws on one at GP.

Danno
10-15-2017, 02:45 AM
Wayne, my forehead is sore from hitting it against the wall mate.

on another note.....one to go to prove I am a complete idiot!!

arlington
10-15-2017, 10:47 AM
Wayne, my forehead is sore from hitting it against the wall mate.

on another note.....one to go to prove I am a complete idiot!!

I don't think there's a rule against your missus giving you some aspirin Danno....

opportunity knocks

Pat, is that system still current? You refer to 2012/13 and past tense, so I'll have to ask...hoping it doesn't do any more damage to Danno's plaster...
in 2017/18, any registered owner gets the passes to use at any meeting even if their horse isn't entered? The stable access you speak of meaning there is no OH&S concerns at all in WA in 2017/18?

Sorry Danno.

Fan of Jate
10-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Danno,

I havent received my card for this season because I have moved interstate and have not bothered to chase it up. My brother who has resided in Tasmania and owns a share of a horse we have in WA always got a card regardless of his location. I was only using 2012/13 as an example but that system was operation last season, I cannot verify it is in for season 2017/18 but I will check Monday. You could enter the races GP , Bunbury wherever with the card but if you did not have a runner they would stop access to the stables, but if the gate keeper knew your head after a few yrs then he might let you in to talk to your trainer who would have other horses to race that night. Bare in mind you are talking about 60 y/o's going in to the stabling area not young drunks. Of course rules still applied , no alcohol past this point etc and they always had someone circling the area checking for miscreants. I am not aware of any incident over the past 15 years. It was controlled to a certain extent without going overboard. I could imagine the Inters will be a bit tighter this year, I think that is the only event they charge you for, I think the last couple it was $30. There was also free parking that came with that card, which was very handy. All in all RWWA have to be congratulated for a great system for owners. Free girls were not provided, you had to make your own luck with that at the casino just down the road. "Just sayin" in case you ask that question.

Trials (not held at GP) were similar- you were allowed in the stabling area if you were an owner and if you were'nt well you could still wander in, of course non owners and newcomers stood out like sore thumbs.

gutwagon
10-15-2017, 04:22 PM
arlington- "I don't know if there is any HRV licencing where you don't have to complete an initial OHS program. You would have for your stablehand licence Rick?"

I know trainers and stablehands had to complete an OHS program when the new system came in and about 5 years ago there was an update. Trouble is they have no idea who is actually doing it ! It's all done online and I know people that have done the course for about 6 others who just couldn't be bothered doing it. So it's a bit of a joke really.
That WA system sounds like a much better deal for owners.

Messenger
10-24-2017, 11:59 PM
What the $*@# is going on in our ranks when prominent names like Dean Braun are this stupid.
We need to get rid of the riff raff

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room/news-article?news_id=35177

Fan of Jate
10-25-2017, 01:42 AM
I am sure if I spoke to people like that who either directly or indirectly employed me or were over seeing any OHS procedures relating to my employment I would be sacked.

KTQ
10-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Two trainers fined and one inquiry adjourned at GP on Monday for having people without stablehand licence help out. Not sure what a little guy like Filardo is supposed to do - these people are little hobby trainers who need their family, friends and owners to help. If I visit home, I am hardly going to go get myself a stablehand licence for the 2 weeks Im back in Australia and I'm sure it's the same for lots of trainers. Their friends and family come to the track and see they need help so they do. It leaves a really really bad taste in my mouth. I wonder what the duties were - washing gear? Giving the horse some water? Washing a horse? Gearing it up? Perhaps they should introduce a 'if you own, you automatically get a license' thing.

"Trainer K. Hawkins pleaded guilty to a charge under Rule 90A(2.9)(a) in that he allowed an unlicensed person to carry out the duties of a stablehand. K. Hawkins was fined $200

Jean Trueman pleaded guilty to a charge under Rule 204 in that she carried out the duties of a stablehand when not the holder of a current licence. J. Trueman was fined $200

Stewards intend to speak to trainer J. Filardo in regards to unlicensed persons carrying out the duties of a stablehand."

gutwagon
10-26-2017, 01:38 PM
KTQ , was the club finned for having unlicensed people in the stable area ?

KTQ
10-26-2017, 06:26 PM
I am not sure.. I think my post from this morning was knee jerk. It's just $200 Is a lot of money for a little trainer with 2 horses

arlington
11-17-2017, 06:27 PM
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/5063007/arrest-made-near-bendigo-in-harness-racing-investigation/

Fan of Jate
11-18-2017, 10:21 PM
K.Hawkins has more than 2 horses in training. They put the rules in place for a reason, either you are a registered stablehand or you are not. The chances of getting caught by a steward helping a trainer out whilst you dont have a stablehands license are pretty low. Nonetheless, the trainers know the rules and have to abide by them.

Messenger
11-19-2017, 12:08 PM
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/5063007/arrest-made-near-bendigo-in-harness-racing-investigation/

The Harness Racing Victoria (HRV) Integrity Department was yesterday informed that the Victoria Police Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit had executed warrants at two properties in the Bendigo area on November 14.

HRV will not be making any comment on the matter at this time.

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room/news-article/?news_id=35435

aussiebreno
11-19-2017, 08:00 PM
Launceston Race 2. Gareth Rattray horse is ODM and drew 13. It scored up behind them and was going to miss the start by 10m so Gareth Rattray never made an effort to get in the right barrier position. He just went straight into the running line and ended up 1 out 4 back rather when he probably would have ended up 1 out 6 or 1 out 7 back. I don't think a fine suffices in this situation. Should be a DQ.

aussiebreno
11-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Just read the rules and it seems they are still declared starter even if you start from wrong barrier.

Messenger
11-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Launceston Race 2. Gareth Rattray horse is ODM and drew 13. It scored up behind them and was going to miss the start by 10m so Gareth Rattray never made an effort to get in the right barrier position. He just went straight into the running line and ended up 1 out 4 back rather when he probably would have ended up 1 out 6 or 1 out 7 back. I don't think a fine suffices in this situation. Should be a DQ.

It sure is an interesting one Brendan.
A horse drawn the outside of the 2nd line in a Vic Cup - driver makes sure it is tardy scoring up and so being 10m behind them does a Gareth Rattray and starts from more or less 'a third row' running line position

Watched a replay of Launceston on Sky - if you wait for the results, which are still not up over an hour after it has been run! It says to allow up to 2 days for video replay RIDICULOUS - this is 2017

(Just noticed R3 results up but not R2 but it is obviously all clear as TAB.com has dividends up)

Fan of Jate
11-20-2017, 11:07 PM
Different rules down this way gents. It also takes longer to cut and splice the tape for the video replay here because the editor does not work weekends and has every 2nd Monday off............

Messenger
11-23-2017, 12:27 AM
The Harness Racing Victoria (HRV) Integrity Department was yesterday informed that the Victoria Police Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit had executed warrants at two properties in the Bendigo area on November 14.

HRV will not be making any comment on the matter at this time.

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room/news-article/?news_id=35435

I have heard that this race from 2014 is supposed to be the race in question

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=HS151214

This was the stewards report for it

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/stewards-reports/stewards-reports-detail/?mc=HS151214

Messenger
12-20-2017, 02:38 AM
The Albion Park Stewards Report makes interesting reading for R8

"Driver T Dixon (FOURSHARESMOREBEERS) was issued a charge under Rule 240 (a) (1) in that approaching the 100m she directed FOURSHARESMOREBEERS Inwards in a conscious effort to afford OUR OVERANOVA (G. Dixon) clear running between FOURSHARESMOREBEERS and RELEVEN DREAM. As a consequence of the shift in by FOURSHARESMOREBEERS, IONA GRINNER which was racing to its inside in the sprint lane sustained interference. Ms Dixon pleaded not guilty to the charge and made submissions that FOURSHARESMOREBEERS was inclined to hang in which resulted in it shifting in abruptly at that point despite her efforts. Stewards elected to adjourn the inquiry to 10:00am Tuesday 19 December 2017 so that the previous racing manners of FOURSHARESMOREBEERS (NZ) could be reviewed and also to analyse wagering on the race."

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/stewards-reports/stewards-reports-detail/?mc=AP161217

This is the race

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=AP161217#APC16121708

Still waiting to hear what took place this morning

Social media is full of accusations suggesting there is more to this than just the Dixons, so the public need to see a thorough investigation to begin restoring faith in Qld harness racing

lasse
12-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Further adjourned to 10am.Fri.22Dec.

Greg Hando
12-20-2017, 11:06 PM
Josh Aiiken https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20668440

Messenger
12-21-2017, 01:23 AM
Josh Aiiken https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20668440

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room/news-article/?news_id=35822

"It is alleged that Mr Aiken presented ‘The Defiant’ to race at the Shepparton trial meeting on 29 August 2017 when not free of the prohibited substances Levamisole and Aminorex."

Messenger
12-22-2017, 08:54 PM
It is being reported that Trista Dixon has received 12 months

https://www.punters.com.au/news/trista-dixon-banned-for-12-months_164962/

see post 216

Showgrounds
12-24-2017, 12:31 AM

https://www.punters.com.au/news/trista-dixon-banned-for-12-months_164962/

see post 216

Confirmed Kev,

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Driver-Trista-Dixon-disqualified-for-12-months

Justice is swift in QLD.

I watched the race and did not notice anything untoward, not until the last 120 metres anyway. It reminded me of so many car drivers; quick look over the right shoulder then run off the shoulder through loss of concentration.

That may be her defence, anyway. Now I am wondering whether her hubby was questioned by the stewards. Presumably, he would use the Sgt Schultz defence.

Messenger
01-03-2018, 01:33 AM
I think I can guess the answer myself but don't the stewards have to ask Aaron Dunn why he did not drop down for the sit (and eventual sprint lane) instead of the Death on Regardless in R8 at Terang tonight

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=TE020118&fromstate=vic#TEC02011803

arlington
01-03-2018, 04:44 PM
Confirmed Kev,

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Driver-Trista-Dixon-disqualified-for-12-months

Justice is swift in QLD.

I watched the race and did not notice anything untoward, not until the last 120 metres anyway. It reminded me of so many car drivers; quick look over the right shoulder then run off the shoulder through loss of concentration.

That may be her defence, anyway. Now I am wondering whether her hubby was questioned by the stewards. Presumably, he would use the Sgt Schultz defence.

G Dixon horses scratched, removed, from Albion Park races yesterday. Licences suspended. Not related to this race.

Messenger
01-04-2018, 01:21 AM
The stewards clearly did not like the look of R6 at Geelong tonight

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=GE030118&fromstate=vic#GEC03011802

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it

I wonder whether they noticed some similarities with the previous race with the same 2 stables involved - Males horse handed up to Nicholson horse for a Nicholson win, next race Males horse hands up to Nicholson horse (even though it was fav handing up to 2nd fav) but Nicholson horse runs up the track to let Males horse out early

Showgrounds
01-04-2018, 10:17 PM
G Dixon horses scratched, removed, from Albion Park races yesterday. Licences suspended. Not related to this race.

To quote Arte Johnson "Very interesting!

Messenger
01-05-2018, 02:14 AM
The stewards clearly did not like the look of R6 at Geelong tonight

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=GE030118&fromstate=vic#GEC03011802

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it

I wonder whether they noticed some similarities with the previous race with the same 2 stables involved - Males horse handed up to Nicholson horse for a Nicholson win, next race Males horse hands up to Nicholson horse (even though it was fav handing up to 2nd fav) but Nicholson horse runs up the track to let Males horse out early

RACE 5 - DEVCON PROPERTIES PACE (1ST HEAT) (2100 MS)

Implode hung out in the score up and was out of position at the start and a warning was issued.

Rounding the home turn on the final occasion Emelia On Fire hung in and then broke under pressure shortly after, resulting in Ozzie Bogan having to be checked and then broke as a result. Emelia On Fire was placed on its last chance to race truly.

Son Of Regal tired to be beaten 55m and a warning was issued.

Stewards questioned Tanya Cavallaro, driver of Manly Mach, in relation to the reasons for her initially resisting the challenge for the lead from Albarock before then handing up to Smart Little Shard entering the back straight on the first occasion. Ms Cavallaro stated that she believed Manly Mach was stepping up in class tonight and that whilst she was not prepared to hand up to Albarock she was mindful that Albarock was first up since August 2017. Ms Cavallaro further stated that rather than then get in a battle for the lead she handed up to Smart Little Shard as she felt that runner would apply pressure to her if it raced to her outside, and added that she also took into account that Manly Mach had worked early in the event. All wagering transactions on this event will be analysed.

RACE 6 - GEELONG'S CLASSIC ROCK 4TH MARCH PACE (2100 MS)

Prior to this event connections of Rockabella Starz lodged a change of tactics notification in that the mare was to be driven further forward at the start. Rockabella Starz was driven accordingly.

After passing the 200m Rockabella Starz after obtaining a full run to the inside of Dont Pass Im Fast NZ contacted a marker peg.

Dont Pass Im Fast NZ pulled hard in the early and middle stages of the event and shifted out rounding the home turn.

Miss Atomic Betty NZ pulled hard in the early and middle stages of the event and was held up early when unable to obtain clear running.

An inquiry was opened into the tactics adopted during the early stages by Zac Phillips, driver of Rockabella Starz, and Rhys Nicholson, driver of Dont Pass Im Fast NZ, and also into the reasons for Rockabella Starz obtaining a clear run to the inside of Dont Pass Im Fast NZ after passing the 300m on the final occasion prior to the sprint lane becoming available. After taking evidence from Mr Phillips and Mr Nicholson and also obtaining evidence from Mr Paul Males, who was representing Kari Males, trainer of Rockabella Starz, the inquiry was adjourned to a date to be fixed so as to allow stewards to peruse betting transactions and all relevant matters pertaining to the race.

A Veterinary examination of Don’t Pass Im Fast NZ subsequent to the event indicated that the mare was slow to recover, otherwise no abnormalities.

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/stewards-reports/stewards-reports-detail/?mc=GE030118&fromstate=vic

thepacingman
01-05-2018, 11:03 AM

QRIC Suspends And Fines Harness Driver
4 January 2018

Queensland Racing Integrity Commission stewards have suspended the harness driving licence of Brisbane harness driver Grant Dixon and imposed a $4,000 fine after he walked out of a stewards’ inquiry.

Stewards opened the inquiry into Mr Dixon’s driving tactics during Race 10 at Redcliffe on the 21st of December.

He was charged with unacceptable driving during a race while in control of Baron Jujon but left the inquiry after it had been reconvened at Albion Park earlier this week.

Mr Dixon also removed seven runners due to participate in races at Albion Park on Tuesday the 2nd of January.

His training and harness driving licences were immediately suspended pending the outcome of a reconvened inquiry.

Mr Dixon attended the hearing today where his harness driving licence was suspended for eight weeks to be served cumulatively with a suspension imposed for a similar previous infringement.

Mr Dixon’s suspension is due to expire on the 1st of March 2018.

He was also fined $4,000 for leaving the inquiry and withdrawing his horses, with $2,000 to be suspended provided Mr Dixon be of good behaviour for 12 months.

Mr Dixon’s harness trainer’s licence has been reinstated.

Fan of Jate
01-12-2018, 11:38 AM

https://www.punters.com.au/news/tris...months_164962/

Although I applaud the prompt action by stewards, this penalty is nowhere near enough, blatant cheating and found guilty. No excuses this should have been a 5 year suspension and send a clear message to all that cheating wont be tolerated. I would say this is worse than administering some type of chemical to a horse.

Messenger
01-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Although I applaud the prompt action by stewards, this penalty is nowhere near enough, blatant cheating and found guilty. No excuses this should have been a 5 year suspension and send a clear message to all that cheating wont be tolerated. I would say this is worse than administering some type of chemical to a horse.

I cannot agree that it is worse than the chemists Pat - I think of the chemists as people who would do absolutely anything. Dixon's stable driving even rates below those who conspire with other stables to fix a race IMO

Fan of Jate
01-12-2018, 04:19 PM
I should have said it a bit more clearly Kev, I am calling this a one-off race fixing by Dixon and that this is worse than a one -off milkshake use, cobalt or using some other drug. It strikes at the very heart of the sport.The use of the drug would only affect the horse on a short term basis. Whereas blatant cheating affects everybody for a period of time. Quite a few trainers get 12 months for a one off charge of illegal substance usage i.e 1 horse only in the stable was given the substance (anecdotal evidence shows they do it to more than one horse).The immediate suspension for 12 months for Dixon without legal challenge as well indicates that authorities see my point of view as well other wise they would give a lesser penalty than for illegal substance use.
That blatant cheating such as this is also easier to prove by the stewards because it is so obvious makes it easier for authorities to hand down a tougher penalty as well. The Bart Cockburn case is another one in which the penalties have been harsher than any charge of using illegal chemicals in a horses body because it seems to affect the integrity of racing on a bigger scale.
M. Young in WA last year got 5 yrs for pulling up pacers at Albany. I dont recall any trainer getting 5 yrs for a one off usage of illegal substances. Nathan carrol got 3 yrs 6 months but he had a heap of charges proven against him. There are others who have been suspended then immediately get a lawyer and are free to train/drive and eventually quite a few of the charges are dropped or even worse they get off scot free. We have discussed that issue on the forums

I am not sure what Mr squeaky clean Mark Purdon got for his transgressions a few years ago in NZ but stewards were looking for 12 months but that was with 2 horses.

All in all Kev, I think I may be right even though I have not provided a lot of statistical evidence to support my opinion.

Messenger
01-12-2018, 06:54 PM
I think you are right that the stewards take it more seriously Pat but one day I would like to see zero tolerance to drugs like we have been discussing on the Ideas thread after the US's recent introduction of conditions for participating

Fan of Jate
01-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Support you 100% there Kev, I am not saying I agree with what is happening ,it is just something I have observed of late and wanted to comment on. If they keep letting off the biggest trainers/driver in gallops and harness racing then it is stuffed. I read a report the other day where Marion Jones the Olympic sprinter was actually given 6 months jail for taking steroids and lying to the investigating committee. That was about 10-15 years ago. Can you imagine that type of punishment being given out here? Bearing in mind there is a lot more money involved in horse racing than there is in amateur athletics. They even walk out of the stewards meetings here and then get a $100 fine. What a joke. We even had Mark Purdon appealing a decision when copping a suspension after a group 1 race in Perth and even expecting to get the decision reversed according to the All stars publicity machine even though the rule he broke is set in stone and there was no chance it was going to be reversed. he even had a go at the stewards , they fined him and halved his fine !!!!!

As a fine redhead once said "please explain"

Adaptor
01-17-2018, 07:20 PM
It was the wild west at Boort on Monday
There were 4 drivers' suspended for a total of 23 weeks..

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/stewards-reports/stewards-reports-detail/?mc=BT150118

Suspensions:

G Allen 4 weeks Interference

D Krafft 10 weeks Interference

K Cain 5 weeks Mistook Laps

D Rumble 4 weeks Mistook Laps

Messenger
01-18-2018, 02:35 PM
I have heard a rumour that 2 Vic stewards were stood down yesterday

David Martin
01-18-2018, 10:22 PM
I have heard a rumour that 2 Vic stewards were stood down yesterday

Kevin, as a Super Moderator I am disappointed that you are propogating false rumours about stewards. You have my email address, so please contact me before publishing rumours like this in future. David

Messenger
01-18-2018, 11:20 PM
Kevin, as a Super Moderator I am disappointed that you are propogating false rumours about stewards. You have my email address, so please contact me before publishing rumours like this in future. David

David there isn't really such a thing as a false rumour.

A rumour is:

a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

I have some doozies to contact you about David

David Martin
01-18-2018, 11:51 PM
Suffice to say there's no truth to this rumour.

Messenger
01-24-2018, 01:59 AM
Darren Cole gets 12mths even though Mr Conder appearing for HRV stewards
"conceded that cobalt was not performance enhancing"

http://www.harness.org.au/NEWS/news2/uploads/Cole%20Darren%2019%20Jan%2018.pdf

Danno
01-24-2018, 10:06 PM

That is truly weird, firstly for a "suspension" for cobalt above the set limits and secondly for the concession of cobalt not being performance enhancing???????.......did someone just change all the evidence that has been gathered???? you bloody mexicans do some weird shit down there, what is going on??

Exhilarator
01-24-2018, 11:16 PM
Unfortunately in Victoria we have to put up with RAD and obviously the chairpeople have no idea about the difference between suspension and disqualification .Nothing worse than racing people who have obviously tried to gain an unfair advantage but have only been suspended when found guilty.

arlington
01-25-2018, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately in Victoria we have to put up with RAD and obviously the chairpeople have no idea about the difference between suspension and disqualification .Nothing worse than racing people who have obviously tried to gain an unfair advantage but have only been suspended when found guilty.

G'day John. Hope Kev gives you a big warm welcome to the forum.
Am assuming you received this today https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=a77425cabc034bf65eb8c7c6b&id=0987f038dd the first edition of Integrity Matters

Pretty sure anyone can subscribe to the mailing list via this link https://us7.campaign-archive.com/home/?u=a77425cabc034bf65eb8c7c6b&id=761f08fcd6 so I imagine the stewards and integrity department won't mind me making the link available here and spreading the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger

Something that may need clarifying. From Kev's link "conceded that cobalt was not performance enhancing" whereas the Integrity Matters link refers to cobalt ...can be misused and at high levels within the body acts as a Hypoxia Inducible Factor (HIF-1) stabiliser, Am not a chemist so maybe I'm missing somethng but HIF-1 does increase red blood cell numbers, hence performance enhancing hence banned?

Perhaps David, being forum member David Martin, could help sort out here please? Especially in light of Dan's post.

Showgrounds
01-25-2018, 10:16 PM
Will be interested to see what HRV does with Messrs. L Eastman and S Dyer following the outcome of the Police matter at Bendigo Magistrates Court.

Adaptor
01-25-2018, 11:29 PM
Will be interested to see what HRV does with Messrs. L Eastman and S Dyer following the outcome of the Police matter at Bendigo Magistrates Court.

For race fixing in Mildura, the Cramps received community orders of 200 and 300 hours, where in this case the penalty was a $20,000 fine.

Then the stewards disqualified the Cramps for 12 years.

Showgrounds
01-26-2018, 03:51 AM
For race fixing in Mildura, the Cramps received community orders of 200 and 300 hours, where in this case the penalty was a $20,000 fine.

Then the stewards disqualified the Cramps for 12 years.

Just shows what a joke the Cramp's case was when handled by the courts. There is little to compare their systematic race fixing compared to Lucked-out Larry's pathetic attempts to earn a few extra quid. The "homeless" in Swanston St Melbourne would gross more in a couple of days than Eastman masterminded.

Warned off for life from all tracks in all states in my opinion.

Messenger
01-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Just shows what a joke the Cramp's case was when handled by the courts. There is little to compare their systematic race fixing compared to Lucked-out Larry's pathetic attempts to earn a few extra quid. The "homeless" in Swanston St Melbourne would gross more in a couple of days than Eastman masterminded.

Warned off for life from all tracks in all states in my opinion.

Trevor, you are too dismissive of Eastman's offences IMO.
As for the homeless - I am not sure we need to throw that red herring in

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia/Fined-20-000-for-fixing-Victorian-races

Cashiking won the race, and the associates of Eastman won $22,110.

His associates won a combined $13,655.

As for

“The bizarre thing is that he engaged in this corrupt activity, and appears to have obtained less than $2000 out of it,”

Well that was his defence counsel and one could also add:

Eastman appears to have once been a legitimate participant

So much for 'appears'

gutwagon
01-26-2018, 01:53 PM
It's irrelevant whether Cobalt is performance enhancing or not . It's on the banned substance list. All participants have agreed to follow the rules, if you can't then get out of the industry. If Cobalt does nothing why do people keep using it and risking suspension ?

Showgrounds
01-26-2018, 03:27 PM
It's hardly as if Eastman had been struggling to find a decent horse having won multiple group 1's in recent seasons. His problems may lie deeper as I'm pretty sure this was not the first time he has seen what the bottom of a hole looks like. It is interesting reading the licensing requirements for "B" grade licence applications and the emphasis on credit history. Many of our current trainers, including the subject, gained their licences in days when you filled out the form and paid the fee - no consideration for financial consequences was a Petrie dish for less than honest behaviours. The days of being just a good trainer (without business acumen) to achieve sustained success are behind us.

And, regardless as to how much Eastman's schemes earned him and his supporters, the Cramp's were treated lightly with community orders. I doubt that the scale of their misdemeanors have been fully disclosed, perhaps through some legal settlement.

Showgrounds
01-26-2018, 03:41 PM
It's irrelevant whether Cobalt is performance enhancing or not . It's on the banned substance list. All participants have agreed to follow the rules, if you can't then get out of the industry. If Cobalt does nothing why do people keep using it and risking suspension ?

Agree with all you say, but I would like to see some official explanation as to how it is being administered and in what form. Feed additive? Injection? All we seem to have heard since cobalt became a headline are trainers claiming no knowledge as to how it ended up in a horses system.

Administering cobalt in bolus form to young cattle has been scientifically proven to deliver weight gains up to 6% in one year. I'd imagine there would be some benefit for growing horses, not sure about racehorses. B12 vitamin has long been used on performance horses; straight cobalt is basically a concentrate from which it is drawn.

I am sure all this has been covered elsewhere, just would love to read some official explanations. Likewise with arsenic, you can only blame treated pine posts so much.

Showgrounds
01-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Hey Kev, just read the Bendigo Advertiser's full story on the Eastman case. It goes into far more detail than the Herald Sun story I based my original post Until reading the Advertiser story I was unaware of Eastman / Cramp connection. As Larry has handed in his licence I suppose all HRV can do is place a period of time before he can reapply for it again.

Adaptor
01-27-2018, 02:24 PM
Hey Kev, just read the Bendigo Advertiser's full story on the Eastman case. It goes into far more detail than the Herald Sun story I based my original post Until reading the Advertiser story I was unaware of Eastman / Cramp connection. As Larry has handed in his licence I suppose all HRV can do is place a period of time before he can reapply for it again.

From 2006
HRV Inquiry - Larry Eastman
02 March 2006
Harness Racing Victoria (HRV) Stewards yesterday concluded an inquiry into the Larry Eastman-trained Ally Luvzit returning an elevated TCO2 level of 38.2 mmol/L prior to its third placing in the Angelique Club Cup at Moonee Valley on February 4, 2006.
During the inquiry evidence was tendered by Dr John Vine, Director - Racing Analytical Services Ltd (RASL), Dr Richard Cust (HRV Veterinary Consultant) and Mr Larry Eastman, registered trainer of Ally Luvzit.
The inquiry heard that the reserve portion of the sample was analysed by the Australian Racing Forensic Laboratory who reported a TCO2 level of 38.5 mmol/L.
A stable sample, collected from the horse on February 9, was analysed by RASL and found to indicate a TCO2 level of 30.2 mmol/L.
Mr Eastman conceded during the inquiry that certain aspects of his current feeding regime have subsequently caused him concern, this included introducing the use of a 48 hour pre-race saline drench supplied by his veterinary practitioner.
After consideration of all relevant matters Mr Eastman was charged and subsequently pleaded guilty to a charge under Rule 190(1) which states; "A horse shall be presented for a race free of prohibited substances."
In determining penalty the panel acknowledged the fact that Mr Eastman had received numerous warnings from HRV regarding his feeding regime in the weeks leading up to this race and had failed to seek appropriate veterinary advice in regard to his practices.
However, the panel also acknowledged Mr Eastman's forthright evidence, his guilty plea, his unblemished record over 35 years and numerous references as to this standing in the harness racing industry.
Under all the circumstances Mr Eastman was fined $10,000.
Under the provisions of Rule 195, Ally Luvzit was disqualified from the Angelique Club Cup and the placings amended accordingly.

And this d at Launceston:
Ally Luvzit 04-Jun-2006 LAUNCESTON LNC04060609 d $0 $25,000 xx G LANG 2698m FT MS FFA P 2:02.0