Don’t think it was ever revealed what HRV made from exporting trots to France, commercial inconfidence claimed buy John Anderson. As I understand it we make considerably more from NZ. Given that the PMU has cut the product to save money I’d have to assume it was not wildly profitable for them so presumably not wildly profitable but a little icing on the cake for us.

Total turn over isn’t how HRVs share of the joint venture is calculated, revenue comes into it some how so yes with different rates for TAB and corporates it does make it pretty difficult for those of us following along from home to follow so I’d be all for an easy marker such as return to industry. Surely the point of consumption tax has seen a better return from the corporates to industry? With their reduced take out and ability to market I’m not sure that a dollar wagered on the corporates would be returned in full to the TAB if the corporates were no longer in the market place. That said I wonder how long they can exist on there business model in this marketplace. They set up amongst a virgin population to plunder and in effect that is what they have done, there’s only so many punters coming of age or migrating once they gone through the existing population and barred the successful punters. That Corporates predominantly service the addictions of losing problem gamblers is probably the best measure to push with government, along with as a Brenno said the employment opportunities.

But that in itself Brenno is an increasing problem, back when low skilled people worked on assembly lines in un air conditioned factories, or worked the land by hand or on an open tractor working in a stable was seen as a very desirable alternative. But not now with many seeing stable work as being menial tasks in a largely unprotected from the elements workplace and often with difficult hours to boot. Many trainers, particularly TB already struggle to find appropriately skilled staff.