Quote Originally Posted by Starship Captain View Post
Complaining about lost money is not isolated to standardbred breeders.
Breeder's are themselves a special breed and have a PASSION to produce race horse's, to see a foal born, raise it to an age that it can be sold and then have it race and win. Being there at the track is just the most awesome experience. The up's and down's of breeding and parting with some money would give you a much better understanding, but firstly you will need to find a mare or filly that you are absolutely in LOVE with and that you believe 110% she is capable of producing a good race horse. When you find that mare and see that first foal you will be hooked, you will most likely pay what ever it take's to make sure it is looked after correctly, even when the chance of getting a return on that money is very slim.

Well said jason, I cannot think of one person I've met in my 40 odd years involvement, be they breeders,owners, trainers etc. that have not had the passion for the horses and the game.
If that passion were not there the game would have died long ago. Nobody I know is in this game for purely for a buck, there have been some who have lost their way......and in saying that I have no problem with people making an honest living doing what they love to do.. good on them!

But at some stage we have all "got hooked", and thats what keeps many of us going..waiting for the next handy horse...hoping for a Karloo Mick ( and never daring to dream for a Blacks a Fake)

My main current hope is that our game can be cleaned up properly after all the recent fallout.....
Cheers,

Dan